Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Full Time Living Travel Trailer?

Jaygonz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am in search of the best quality and most reliable travel trailer for full time living. The travel trailer I am looking for must be around 25' not much less or more, I also need to be able to get an artic package on it for all 4 seasons, and of course, I need it to be able to withstand full time year round living!

Thanks in advance!
14 REPLIES 14

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
By definition of the RVIA, an RV is not built for full time living. The building codes for a mobile home are different. They recently fought it out with the US government over the definition and code requirements.

Of course we all know that hasn't prevented many RVers using them in a full time fashion.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't purchased yet, look at the Outdoors RV Mfg brands. We had a chance to look at one a few months back, and while they don't have a 5th wheel model yet, we were VERY impressed.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just got this trailer...lots of storage, comfortable, I love it!!

Jayco Eagle HT 274CKDS
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Off the top of my head.....Northwoods (arctic fox) and Lance are probably the best for winter camping. Crossovers from truck campers that are known for being 4-season units.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Questions unstated:

1). How many years?

2). How many miles?

Thatโ€™s the divisor between โ€œbestโ€ and โ€œtypicalโ€.

Airstream is the last of the quality trailers. Entry-level way back when. But itโ€™s still an a non-limited lifespan 25+ year TT. 250,000-miles.
It also has no peer in towing. Stability.

The typical RVs are sub-10 years before serious problems (delamination, prominently). . 75k miles. Terrible suspensions and centr-of-gravity height.

The typical trailers built when mine was are now a couple decades past being tipped into the landfill. (Thereโ€™s no need to buy one brand-new. Use depreciation to your advantage).

Buying new every 5-7 years is enormously wasteful. Unless thatโ€™s the time period expected.

As to size, the Golden Age of Trailers showed that 27-28โ€™ is best size for a full-time couple(asa minimum). . Bath, beds, storage and amenities. Front lounge, mid-kitchen, beds, and bath at rear is that layout. Itโ€™s also most efficient for plumbing and weight balance.

Itโ€™s not in the least harder to tow than a 25โ€™.

Avoid slide-outs.

And, as an important note: Many do good planning to go full-timing. But not so on EXITING. Sadly, itโ€™s often illness or injury. Expect that selling an RV (versus giving it away) may be 4-6 months. Have a few ways of getting out.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly some glass half full perspectives here.....an RV is an RV is an Rv.

The wife and I travel year around in our TT and don't see much difficulty in sub temps,we're prepared and educated in these conditions.

We have heated underbelly and always 2 full tanks of Propane, carry RV antifreeze for those emergencies, winterize on location if need be.

Full hookups with ceramic heater is ideal.
RV fully stocked incase of snow storm, generator backup.....preperation is everything.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are MANY of us living full-time in our Grand Design RVs. On either of the brand-specific forums, I've never seen anything about anyone having warranty issues because they are full-time. GD has authorized warranty repairs for us on several occasions - and they know we are full-timers.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no answer to this question. Sorry! Do your DD as best you can. Dig deep. Ask way too many questions. If they can't answer, don't buy.
There ARE good full time 4 season RV's out there but outside of class A's, they are few and far between.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, Jaygonz, what four season TTs have considered?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Jaygonz

It seems that RV manufacturers avoid saying that you can use their trailers for full time living because of warranty concerns. If you live in them full time then more things are going to break and they will have more warranty expense. One of the trailer makers I like best is Grand Design ever since I sat in one at an RV show. They used to say that their trailers were suitable for full time use. I checked today and now they have changed their website to say their trailers are "Extended Stay Approved". What does that mean? Who knows? I think it means if you live in them full time you don't get free warranty service if something breaks. Below is a link to that page.

Grand Design - Full-Time Living

Steve

Edit: I don't think the Weight Police here at this forum will approve that truck to pull that fifth wheel at the top of that page.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Arctic" packages are a euphemism. If you want a TT that is a bit better suited to the cold than some of the others, look at Arctic Fox. All of the mainstream manufacturers use the same appliances and fittings, and many of the same components such as slides, axles, suspension, etc. You pay your money and roll the dice.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Get the floor plan that works with lots of storage
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are asking a lot, they are not designed to be lived in full time. Many do it but they make a lot of sacrifices. In cold climates you will go through a LOT of propane, water pipes tend to freeze etc etc. Will the trailer be parked so you can skirt it? One Ohio winter will adjust your priorities.:B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the โ€œbestโ€ trailer and four season package, winter camping requires lots of effort, propane and electricity. Airstream would be the choice of many for โ€œbest.โ€ Oliver and Bigfoot might have an edge in cold weather but the Olivers are narrow. Which trailers has your research shown meet your requirements?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad