cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

frsh water tank

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
when im hooked up to city water will the fresh water tank fill up? I noticed my fresh water gauge came to full when I did this? new to this situation? thanks
17 REPLIES 17

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
update. I either had water in the tank or the check didn't check the first time but last wknd it was empty when I hooked up to water and didn't fill, was empty when I disconnected.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
shaner82 wrote:
Mine shows full the second I connect to city water. It has since it was brand new. The tank is empty one second and shows full the next, so I don't believe it's backflowing into the tank.

This is also a thought as my previous trailer did the same......empty tank read full apon city hookup.

Then the question becomes why is this happening?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
shaner82 wrote:
Mine shows full the second I connect to city water. It has since it was brand new. The tank is empty one second and shows full the next, so I don't believe it's backflowing into the tank.

This is also a thought as my previous trailer did the same......empty tank read full apon city hookup.

shaner82
Explorer
Explorer

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Some rigs have a valve at the pump to shut off suction from the tank when on city water. If that valve is open it can back fill the tank. My 2010 Jayco is set up that way.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the replies. first time out on new tt. I used the hose end regulator, just noticed the tank filled. don't really want that but don't really want to use pump if I don't have to. the valve on the discharge mite be the trick, or a better check valve. thanks!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The PEX, itself, can take the pressure. It is the fittings connecting the PEX together that poses the risk from high pressure.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
Also, maybe the city water pressure is too high and causing the valves to leak?

A pressure regulator is a safe thing to have for these plastic water systems in RVs to protect against high city pressure.

Well the pumbing lines are PEX, which is commonly used in Houses now. TT fixtures are often cheap/poor though there is some good stuff being used.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Also, maybe the city water pressure is too high and causing the valves to leak?

A pressure regulator is a safe thing to have for these plastic water systems in RVs to protect against high city pressure.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your valve in the pump is not working and is allowing city water to flow into your tank instead of stopping at the pump. I had the same problem. I installed a water shut off valve after the pump to stop the back flow. If you are going to use water in the tank turn it on, if not shut the valve to prevent the back flow. This fix being short of risking water flooding the RV and bursting your tank from pressure.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Very common in all Types of Rv's. Check valve leaking. Take pump apart and clean. Rebuilt kits available on Amazon. Install a check valve between the pump and the FW tank. 3 fixes is all I got.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Never seen that in a travel trailer but it's fairly common in MH's.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some RVs have a valve to fill the tank, if it is open or leaks, the tank will fill. If the check valve in the water pump leaks, that too will fill the tank. Common problems.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The city water should connect to your water lines after the 12v DC pump, which has a one-way valve so water can only flow out of the tank/ out of the pump.

You would need to add a ball valve off a Tee after the pump and route it back to the water tank, or the water line before the pump to flow water from city to tank.
You would need to do this manually and monitor it to turn it off when full as it would run constantly into the tank and out of the air vent or fill spout.