cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The long Honeymoon just released a blog entry advocating using LT tires not ST. I have to admit I don't even know what brand of tires my TT has on it. They have been problem free. But I have had plenty of trouble in the past. They especially dislike marathons, no surprise. Take a look, you don't have to watch the whole thing they make their argument in the fir 6 or 7 minutes the rest is just doing it over and over.

But I'll say they make sense to me. Airstream is supply Michelin LT tires on their units as an option.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
130 REPLIES 130

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heh I am the OP and just ignored the issue for decades since I was convinced way back there sometime that ST tires were best. My 16 in rims arrive tommorrow and I just orders a set of 4 BFG Commercial from discount tire yesterday to catch their 10% discount sale.
Superbumper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I have this awesome TPMS and temperature monitoring system that I carry everywhere with me. Even to bed.
Any guess who makes it? Clue, itโ€™s a 3 letter word, regardless of your beliefs.
Answer: God or mom.
And what is this awesome system you ask? And what does it cost?

Itโ€™s 100% absolutely money back guaranteed FREE!

And I call this system my eyes and hand!!
With my hand, I can feel if tires or bearings are too hot, or more specifically if one is hotter than the other. With my eyes I can see issues or at least check for them.

But wait! Thereโ€™s more!
For the low price of FREE, my eyes and hands (and yours too, if you act now...) can accomplish many OTHER tasks too!

And you can check all that going down the highway every minute at 65mph? That's awesome!
Ahh, I see Larry is also as smart as me!

Ha, good morning!
See this thread hasn't totally died yet....
No I can't check it every minute going down the road and don't need that peace of mind I guess. Heck I still drive vehicles with no tpms! Oh the thought of that.....
Like jimlin said below. TPMS shouldn't be a crutch for old tires and it doesn't predict the destructive stuff like tread separation. Or tell you if a bearing is going bad.
So, yes it's a nice feature if it helps ease the minds of some, but it's not the cure all must have device that some make it out to be and then profess its virtues from the tops of trees!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
LOL...yeah Roger Marble (Tireman9) is a tire engineer and if the OP had read all his rvtiresafety.net on the subject the OP wouldn't have had to ask such a question that has been answered dozens of times...unless he had cabin fever and just wanted to stir the pot a bit.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heh I'd say someone has been reading this post: Roger Marblr RV Travel magazine
Superbumper

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2 trailers, one with Marathons and one with LT tires.

The LT tires are on a horse trailer - LT235/85/16 - it came with Uniroyal tires, I have since purchased Goodyear Wranglers and they have been perfect. Same tire as on my 3/4 ton truck. My experience is that the ST tire is a marketing ploy to create a "specialty" tire for the trailer industry and market a specific tire. They claim some differences, but I think that is so they can make a cheaper tire. Truth is that an LT tire is designed for a truck and the weight a truck can handle. It is also developed for higher speeds and more consistent use. There is no reason this can not be used on a trailer, and from the 13 pages of comments, it looks like everyone that has gone to LT tires are happy and have no tire complaints.

I will be changing the Marathon tires to LT tires soon. Probably this year due to their age. I have had no issues with the Marathon tires, so really can not complain about them. If memory serves me, when I was shopping for tires a few years ago for the horse trailer, cost was insignificant in comparing good ST to LT tires.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I've seen posts where the OP says he lost a complete tread on one of his trailers tires and his TPS told him nothing....just the usual people passing and honking and waving.

Just last summer (98-100 outside temps) I lost a complete tread on a 10 year old 16" E tire with approx 28k miles on my 10k car hauler. I had a job about 77 miles out and was coming home when the carcass finally blew 3 miles from the barn. I didn't know anything was wrong.
I tried pulling the ramps out. There the complete tread was wedged in tight. I'm close to 80 and boy was it hot on that black oil and chip county road. A nice young man stopped and between both of us got the ramp out.
The next day Discount Tires fixed me up with 4 new ones. The others showed inside separation issues.

TPMS systems are nice but not a 100 percent fix for all situations. Now if I was hauling on the road again running 70k miles a year then I would use a TPMS on truck and trailer.

yup, a TPMS will help and likely save you from a catastrophy if you pick up a nail or something that gives a slow enough leak to give you time to react. It won't save you from something that causes a rapid air loss. But then the times it has "saved" me is exactly the first case, twice I picked up a nail and it gave me enough warning to avoid a blowout. Both with pressure warning and also an increase in temperature.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen posts where the OP says he lost a complete tread on one of his trailers tires and his TPS told him nothing....just the usual people passing and honking and waving.

Just last summer (98-100 outside temps) I lost a complete tread on a 10 year old 16" E tire with approx 28k miles on my 10k car hauler. I had a job about 77 miles out and was coming home when the carcass finally blew 3 miles from the barn. I didn't know anything was wrong.
I tried pulling the ramps out. There the complete tread was wedged in tight. I'm close to 80 and boy was it hot on that black oil and chip county road. A nice young man stopped and between both of us got the ramp out.
The next day Discount Tires fixed me up with 4 new ones. The others showed inside separation issues.

TPMS systems are nice but not a 100 percent fix for all situations. Now if I was hauling on the road again running 70k miles a year then I would use a TPMS on truck and trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I have this awesome TPMS and temperature monitoring system that I carry everywhere with me. Even to bed.
Any guess who makes it? Clue, itโ€™s a 3 letter word, regardless of your beliefs.

With my hand, I can feel if tires or bearings are too hot, or more specifically if one is hotter than the other. With my eyes I can see issues or at least check for them.

For the low price of FREE, my eyes and hands (and yours too, if you act now...) can accomplish many OTHER tasks too!

And you can check all that going down the highway every minute at 65mph? That's awesome!
Ahh, I see Larry is also as smart as me!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Completely Useless when going 65mph down the interstate with 24/7 monitoring and completely subjective when already stopped and damage from a catastrophic failure is impossible.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 Jayco came with 14-inch Maxxis 8008 STs, and I've been using that tire ever since.

The only problem I ever experienced was the beginnings of a separation with an 8-year-old tires. I knew the tires were "iffy" due to the age, but I managed to squeezed one more trip out of them, to Key West. Fortunately, they didn't fail on the road, but when I got home I saw signs of the separation.

I replaced them with a new set of 8008s and live happily ever after.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Now, Iโ€™m curious. Iโ€™ll have to get out the temp gun and compare it to the TPMS reading. We are scheduled to leave tomorrow, but, of course, we got snow yesterday. We have a pretty steep grade to get off the mountain, so weโ€™ll see how slick it is.
If I remember, Iโ€™ll post some figures.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
Last summer my tires were running about 110-degrees on a 90-degree day.

Get a TPMS and you will know exactly.

You will know exactly what the temperature of the sensor is, the tire temperature may be quite different.

IMO the tire temp will be very, very close to what the TPMS measures since it uses the internal air temp and the most important thing is the TPMS will show variations between the tires which is very useful. I have noticed that tires on the sunny side typically measure approx 10deg higher than those on the opposite side.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I just did some searches. Most say that tires temps will rise by 50 degrees in a half hour at highway speed.

Wow! That would put my tires at 160-170 degrees!

I do belive it though. My last Blowout was a brand new Marathon LRE, in the summer heading north from Phoenix. The pavement was so hot, I had to take the floormats out of the truck to rest on changing the tire.
DW whent behind to wave traffic over as the TT was rocking pretty bad from the windblasts.

After getting back on the road, she was really upset about all of the issues we had experienced, and wanted to know what else we could do... I told her about reading here on LTs, and that it would be an expensive swap, but it was the only thing left to do.... She said do it, I don't care what it costs. That was in 2006. No more failures.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW