Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wheels cant handle the tire pressure of the good stuff.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Most tire issues are user error.

Trailer unlevel loading up 1 axle.
Improper inflation, always on the low side.

That said,
When it's time for tires, always upgrade.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Just the sheer number of TTs on the road that you do not see on the shoulder leads me to believe you get a lopsided view from forums .

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went out and looked at mine and heck, they are Marathons. I'm going to have something else put on them before we take off in May. They are 15 inch tho so I guess I'd have to go to 16 inch rims if I want to use LT. As I said up above. I have never really thought about this before tho I've probably had 10 or 12 blowouts over the years.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have 15" rims ( the most common rim) getting a 15"LT tire that has the load capacity you may need (at least what I need) LT are really not an option. LRC LT in 15" is about the highest you can find easily, a few D's and I have not seen any LRE 15". So pretty much leaves our LT in my case.

Now if I had 16" rims, then LT's in LRE are pretty much the std LR.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just posted over in the NROA forum to see what their opinion of moving to 16 inch tires is. Seems like there is a lot of room in the wheel well. But $110 each for the tires plus, at a guess, $100/each for new rims is running up the cost.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

16" and up LTs are a good option. 15" and down, ST tires can be had in higher load ratings.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 02:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

The 16" GY Endurance's have been problem free on our TT and negate the need for LT's. However, I hate the co. and would pay 50% more for a similarly performing tire just to avoid them.
When the time comes for new tires, I'll be checking out all the options.
Agree. I owned a LOT of Marathons. They all failed in short order. At every replacement, I upgraded size and load range. That TT started out life with 205/14 LRC. the last set of Marathons were 215/15 LRE. All failed. I fell for all the propoganda which was parroted here by many about the NEED to run STs. That 2001 TT ended up with Michelin XPS Ribs in 2006. I have not had a single hint of a tire problem ever since.
When GY came out with the Endurance, many of the previous ST proponents here rushed out to buy them (in spite of their professed alliegance to the previous STs)
I having already found a solution that worked.... will not buy a tire from a company that repeatadly told how great their previous tires were.... IOW, they cheerfully took thousands of dollars from me selling me junk tires. They no longer deserve any more of my money.

For those of you trying out these new tires.. I wish you luck.
If you start having trouble, you can always go to LTs then.... And tire size upgrades are possible in many cases. That 2001 TT that started out life with 205/14s LRC had 225/16 LREs when I sold it. Yes I had to make a few changes to make the upsized tires work.... But I had so many failures that I needed to do something to stop them. I grew weary of sitting on the side of the road in 110 degrees dealing with tire problems.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hardly anyone learns from the ST - LT tire debates.

You, as an owner can use any DOT certified highway tire.The problem is, you violate tire industry standards when not using tires designated for use as displayed on the vehicle certification label. Or other options as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Sure, Airstream as a trailer builder can use LT tires as Origional Equipment on their trailers. That is not a license for others to follow suit. Only the vehicle manufacturer has the authority for OE tire selection. Without their approval, designates OE tire sizes rule.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

You, as an owner can use any DOT certified highway tire.The problem is, you violate tire industry standards when not using tires designated for use as displayed on the vehicle certification label. Or other options as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Sure, Airstream as a trailer builder can use LT tires as Origional Equipment on their trailers. That is not a license for others to follow suit. Only the vehicle manufacturer has the authority for OE tire selection. Without their approval, designates OE tire sizes rule.
Still at it Calvin.

For those that don't know, this from Calvins past:

This coming from a guy who had SEVEN oem tire failures. ( That should make anyone a disgruntled consumer) CALandLINs seven failures And from what you have also posted (staying with STs, and just increasing the LR) are still having troubles, though at a slower rate. Yea, keep right on drinking the kool aid and putting up with failures... At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are doing what you are supposed to do.

I have no problem with Calvin's tire choices.

I do think though, that continuing to try and scare people away from LT tire use..... Is despicable.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

CALandLIN wrote:

Still at it Calvin.

For those that don't know, this from Calvins past:

This coming from a guy who had SEVEN oem tire failures. ( That should make anyone a disgruntled consumer) CALandLINs seven failures And from what you have also posted (staying with STs, and just increasing the LR) are still having troubles, though at a slower rate. Yea, keep right on drinking the kool aid and putting up with failures... At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are doing what you are supposed to do.

I have no problem with Calvin's tire choices.

I do think though, that continuing to try and scare people away from LT tire use..... Is despicable.

Seven failures is not bad luck.......what are you doing wrong? to fast? to heavy? The guy above 100% boon docking talks about 80 gallon black and grey tanks, lot of weight leaving on that back axle, those the tires that always seem to fail?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.