Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/10/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Most tire issues are user error.

Trailer unlevel loading up 1 axle.
Improper inflation, always on the low side.

That said,
When it's time for tires, always upgrade.


I'd love to see a data source on that, as it is far from my experience.

I check the tires themself and pressure before every trip. Yet, over the years, I have had more tread separations on trailer tires than I can count.

How many times have I had trouble with tires on cars/trucks? I can think of 3. And, like most, probably over 80% of my time driving is solo.

So why do I have trouble with trailer tires and not LT/P tires?


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

afidel

Cleveland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I just posted over in the NROA forum to see what their opinion of moving to 16 inch tires is. Seems like there is a lot of room in the wheel well. But $110 each for the tires plus, at a guess, $100/each for new rims is running up the cost.


If you think that's expensive check out what it costs to repair the damage from a blowout (if it can be repaired at all).


2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH


wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

kellem wrote:

Most tire issues are user error.

Trailer unlevel loading up 1 axle.
Improper inflation, always on the low side.

That said,
When it's time for tires, always upgrade.


I'd love to see a data source on that, as it is far from my experience.

I check the tires themself and pressure before every trip. Yet, over the years, I have had more tread separations on trailer tires than I can count.

How many times have I had trouble with tires on cars/trucks? I can think of 3. And, like most, probably over 80% of my time driving is solo.

So why do I have trouble with trailer tires and not LT/P tires?

It isn't really fair to compare car/truck tire failure rates to trailer ones. The trailer axle is wider and exposed to more road debris/hazards than the tow vehicle.

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

I just posted over in the NROA forum to see what their opinion of moving to 16 inch tires is. Seems like there is a lot of room in the wheel well. But $110 each for the tires plus, at a guess, $100/each for new rims is running up the cost.


If you think that's expensive check out what it costs to repair the damage from a blowout (if it can be repaired at all).


I don't have to check it out, I've had plenty myself. The worse was on a fiver that trashed the wheel well and did some electrical damage. And I was using a TPMS at the time which gave no alarm. I complained to the company and their reply was, "OH they don't work on blowouts". Never had one rip out the plumbing like one fellow reported.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


CALandLIN

SC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:



Next would be a Carlisle HD or Endurance. Both came out about the same time and so far both have no reported issues like their predecessor ( Marathon and Carlisle Radial Trail).


You do know they started building an all steel tire?


Click Here!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen the arguments for and against. Only observation I've made on this forum over the years is that it seems everyone that's switched over to LT tires is happy with the switch.


2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mike134

Elgin

Full Member

Joined: 11/20/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

afidel wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

I just posted over in the NROA forum to see what their opinion of moving to 16 inch tires is. Seems like there is a lot of room in the wheel well. But $110 each for the tires plus, at a guess, $100/each for new rims is running up the cost.


If you think that's expensive check out what it costs to repair the damage from a blowout (if it can be repaired at all).


I don't have to check it out, I've had plenty myself. The worse was on a fiver that trashed the wheel well and did some electrical damage. And I was using a TPMS at the time which gave no alarm. I complained to the company and their reply was, "OH they don't work on blowouts". Never had one rip out the plumbing like one fellow reported.


Just curious how fast do you typically travel when towing?


2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

it isn't really fair to compare car/truck tire failure rates to trailer ones. The trailer axle is wider and exposed to more road debris/hazards than the tow vehicle.
And most trailers/5ers are much heavier.

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/10/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How fast? 63 mph is my usual max speed. We sit in the right hand lane most of the time. Let me point out those blowouts occurred over the last 40 years or so. I was sold on the ST= stronger sidewall story all that time. A lot of thee blowouts we had happened during our popup years when tire heat is the killer IMO.

shelbyfv

TN

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2006

View Profile



Posted: 02/10/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought the Goodyear Endurance and latest Carlisle(HD?)had put this to bed. Next up: RV specific toilet paper?





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.