Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

It isn't really fair to compare car/truck tire failure rates to trailer ones. The trailer axle is wider and exposed to more road debris/hazards than the tow vehicle.

Thats debatable as the tow vehicle can run over the same debree.

What is fair....what we do see with P or LT tire on a trailer is no more delam/blowouts issues on the same trailer traveling the same speeds on the same roads and the same tire maintenance schedule.
We see this on rv and non rv trailering websites so its not just rv trailers that had ST tire issues.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

kellem wrote:

Most tire issues are user error.

Trailer unlevel loading up 1 axle.
Improper inflation, always on the low side.

That said,
When it's time for tires, always upgrade.

I'd love to see a data source on that, as it is far from my experience.

I check the tires themself and pressure before every trip. Yet, over the years, I have had more tread separations on trailer tires than I can count.

How many times have I had trouble with tires on cars/trucks? I can think of 3. And, like most, probably over 80% of my time driving is solo.

So why do I have trouble with trailer tires and not LT/P tires?

It isn't really fair to compare car/truck tire failure rates to trailer ones. The trailer axle is wider and exposed to more road debris/hazards than the tow vehicle.

You're right. It wouldn't be reasonable to compare the two directly. But it also isn't reasonable to expect trailer tires to fail at an exponentially higher rate, which is what happens.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

wnjj wrote:

it isn't really fair to compare car/truck tire failure rates to trailer ones. The trailer axle is wider and exposed to more road debris/hazards than the tow vehicle.
And most trailers/5ers are much heavier.

Yes, most 5ers are heavier than an average car. I've had multiple failures on boat trailers. I've never owned a boat that out weighs my truck.

It isn't a weight issue. It isn't an owner issue. It is a product quality issue.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roeler
Mike134 wrote:

too heavy? The guy above 100% boon docking talks about 80 gallon black and grey tanks, lot of weight leaving on that back axle, those the tires that always seem to fail?

No, those were on my 2001 Prowler 26H which was quite a bit lighter than my present TT.
In fact, when I brought my present 2010 Sabre home. I immeadiatly switched the tires/rims from my old Prowler to my new Sabre. I would rather have old LTs than new STs. The buyer of my old TT was impressed with the brand new tires and rims he was getting. I was happy they made the trip home on the new TT and glad to be rid of them.
What is interesting is that the Michelins that I swapped to my new TT were a little under rated for it. The Michelins didn't seem to mind, and when they reached 5 years, I got the next size up.

On edit: My Sabre has two 42 gallon grey and two 42 gallon black tanks. So the weight isn't all concentrated in one spot.... And yes I have towed it home with all waste tanks full many times... 100% boondocking! Often for more than 2 weeks.

* This post was last edited 02/10/20 07:59pm by Huntindog *   View edit history

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

ScottG wrote:

The 16" GY Endurance's have been problem free on our TT and negate the need for LT's. However, I hate the co. and would pay 50% more for a similarly performing tire just to avoid them.
When the time comes for new tires, I'll be checking out all the options.
Agree. I owned a LOT of Marathons. They all failed in short order. At every replacement, I upgraded size and load range. That TT started out life with 205/14 LRC. the last set of Marathons were 215/15 LRE. All failed. I fell for all the propoganda which was parroted here by many about the NEED to run STs. That 2001 TT ended up with Michelin XPS Ribs in 2006. I have not had a single hint of a tire problem ever since.
When GY came out with the Endurance, many of the previous ST proponents here rushed out to buy them (in spite of their professed alliegance to the previous STs)

I having already found a solution that worked.... will not buy a tire from a company that repeatadly told how great their previous tires were.... IOW, they cheerfully took thousands of dollars from me selling me junk tires. They no longer deserve any more of my money.

For those of you trying out these new tires.. I wish you luck.
If you start having trouble, you can always go to LTs then.... And tire size upgrades are possible in many cases. That 2001 TT that started out life with 205/14s LRC had 225/16 LREs when I sold it. Yes I had to make a few changes to make the upsized tires work.... But I had so many failures that I needed to do something to stop them. I grew weary of sitting on the side of the road in 110 degrees dealing with tire problems.

I just got to ask. WHY did you keep buying Marathons? I lost ONE Marathon in it's fourth year. I then put on MAXXIS. I never had a problem with them.

The next TT came with tow Masters. I lost 2 of them in their fourth year. I now have Maxxis on it. As of yet no problems.

In truth. I really don't trust GY for tires. especially trailer tires. The GY Endurance have only been on the market for 3 years. I'll wait until they can build a reputation before I spend my money on them. As it is right now MAXXIS has the best reputation in the ST industry. so I'm using them.
That was just the Goodyears. I did not buy 3 sets of them in a row. I also had a couple of sets of Carlise, one set of NanKing and another brand I can't remember the name of now. IOW, I believed what was being preached here. That the failures were somehow not the tires fault. So I tried different brands first, then upgrading load ratings, then sizes and finally LTs fixed it. IOW, I gave STs a more than fair shot.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

kellem wrote:

Most tire issues are user error.

Trailer unlevel loading up 1 axle.
Improper inflation, always on the low side.

That said,
When it's time for tires, always upgrade.

I'd love to see a data source on that, as it is far from my experience.

I check the tires themself and pressure before every trip. Yet, over the years, I have had more tread separations on trailer tires than I can count.

How many times have I had trouble with tires on cars/trucks? I can think of 3. And, like most, probably over 80% of my time driving is solo.

So why do I have trouble with trailer tires and not LT/P tires?

I haven't measured, but I doubt TT axles are wider than the duallys I have been towing with for over 20 years without any failures.

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't buy the stronger sidewall theory. You don't think a P or LT tire on a vehicle in a high speed turn has less side force?
I think your answer is with the lawyer words on the sidewall----FOR TRAILER SERVICE ONLY!
Also most failures are tread/lamination failures, not sidewall failures.

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The builders of ST tires advertise them as having stronger sidewalls than like sized LT or P tires. To counter that, one would have to get a tire engineer to unequivocally dispute that so called “theory”.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

The builders of ST tires advertise them as having stronger sidewalls than like sized LT or P tires. To counter that, one would have to get a tire engineer to unequivocally dispute that so called “theory”.

Until you can explain why they catastrophically fail at much greater rate than passenger or LT tires, I'll assume they are lying.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

Why bother? Experts can be bought. It happens all of the time in courtrooms across the country. Each side of a case brings their experts in and of course they advocate for the prosecution or defense.... depending on which side is paying them...

As for advertising claims.... That too often is all they are.
How many times does someone come on this forum stating their tow rating is X, only to learn here that is only an advertising number, that can rarely if ever be attained.

Or some power ratings get inflated to drive sales.... But when the independant performance tests are done, it is obvious that the advertised numbers don't jive.

Yes, Koolaid comes in many flavors. Look hard enough and one can find a flavor they like.

Or one can leave the koolaid for the kids, and see things for how they actually are.... Not how they wish they were.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.