Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

From the Michelin website FAQ

Must I replace my present tires with the same size tires?

Never choose a smaller size than those that came with the car. Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation, with approved or greater load carrying capacity or greater load carrying capacity -- or approved options -- as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer or authorized dealer.

The way the question is asked puts Michelin or any tire mfg into a liability corner. So sure Michelin answer to this specific question will always be the same as the Q&A answer.

Now if the question is worded differently such as in many emails from Michelin that have been posted on this website over the years we get a different answer such as this....

**In regards to the email you sent stating:
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?
Answer..---------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.**

This is old stuff and this website has been through all this many times before with Cal who was posting same non sense as FastEagle back then.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this site will give you an idea of complaints about a specific tire

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=EAIa........Bx1IvgLuEAAYASAAEgJIz_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Click the tire tab then type in the manufacturer.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So marathon vs defender= 156 complaints vs 7. Could be exponential but impossible to say with only two data points. Endurance is zero so far.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

So marathon vs defender= 156 complaints vs 7. Could be exponential but impossible to say with only two data points. Endurance is zero so far.

That's the problem. How many take the time to file a report? How many even know you can? Just like here the "squeaky wheel" vents their troubles giving the perception a certain product is junk.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL why would certain folks, ie marathon users, be more likely to file a complaint over Michelin users? It does not compute. If you said that for every one complainer there are ten out there that could complain. That I would take as a good guess. Meaning actually 1560 vs 70. Also there are probably 10 or 50 Michelins on the road compared to marathons

* This post was edited 02/11/20 03:19pm by agesilaus *

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

From the Michelin website FAQ

Must I replace my present tires with the same size tires?

Never choose a smaller size than those that came with the car. Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation, with approved or greater load carrying capacity or greater load carrying capacity -- or approved options -- as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer or authorized dealer.

The way the question is asked puts Michelin or any tire mfg into a liability corner. So sure Michelin answer to this specific question will always be the same as the Q&A answer.

Now if the question is worded differently such as in many emails from Michelin that have been posted on this website over the years we get a different answer such as this....

**In regards to the email you sent stating:
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?
Answer..---------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.**

This is old stuff and this website has been through all this many times before with Cal who was posting same non sense as FastEagle back then.

A 2006 Montana was always a bad analogy. More than half of them had LT235/85R16 LRE tires as OEM. Mission & Uniroyal were the primary brands of those LT tires.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need for a fight. Just put some tires on and go camping.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think anyone is buying Marathons anymore....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard to decide, alot of the time, on this forum if some of the members believe mis-information with great conviction, or just like being antagonistic without respect to the facts....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

No need for a fight. Just put some tires on and go camping.

I don't see anyone fighting....just the same old stuff same ol' same ol' bilge repeated repeatedly over and over by the same and a few new players [emoticon]

Good troll thread though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.