Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, everyone sitting down?
I’mma bout to blow some minds here.
I’ve bought 2 14klb little deckover tag trailers in the last few years.

They came equipped with......from the factory..... wait for it......LT TIRES!

But what never comes equipped with LT tires are lighter trailers with 14-15” rims.
Why? Because you can get heavier duty ST tires.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where ya'll towing, experiencing all these tire issues.

20 years - 4 trailers - not a single tire related issue.

2 sets of Duro's , 2 sets of trailer kings.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well as the original poster, and new to this issue. I want to thank everyone, on both sides of the debate, for all this info. Which has helped me make up my mind.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Well as the original poster, and new to this issue. I want to thank everyone, on both sides of the debate, for all this info. Which has helped me make up my mind.

can't tease us like that What did you decide?

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well against my better judgement I'll fess up: LT tires in 16 inch wheels.

The ST arguments most seem to be 'appeals to authority' not really based on data. Of course there isn't any real data set but most of the LT people seem to have a lot of good experience with the tires. No one said that they tried LT tires and had a bunch of blowouts. And lastly my bad experience with ST tires, with a TPMS and driving max 63 mph. All my blowouts have been on paved roads, frequently interstates. Not bouncing down smoe gravel potholed road.

I'm just tired sitting on the side of some interstate fighting with the ERS for 45 minutes or more, or worse taking the tire off and putting the spare on.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Well against my better judgement I'll fess up: LT tires in 16 inch wheels.

The ST arguments most seem to be 'appeals to authority' not really based on data. Of course there isn't any real data set but most of the LT people seem to have a lot of good experience with the tires. No one said that they tried LT tires and had a bunch of blowouts. And lastly my bad experience with ST tires, with a TPMS and driving max 63 mph. All my blowouts have been on paved roads, frequently interstates. Not bouncing down smoe gravel potholed road.

I'm just tired sitting on the side of some interstate fighting with the ERS for 45 minutes or more, or worse taking the tire off and putting the spare on.

You won't be sorry.

Another thing.. after awhile you will start to forget about what it was like to have tire issues.

Many here say that STs need to have the pressures checked daily. some at every stop.

Can you imagine doing this on your commuter vehicle?

In time you will adjust to a life without tire worries.

It took me awhile, but I have. I also tow at whatever speed I want to. LTs since 2006, without a single issue. And just about all of my trips involve bad roads. (100% boondocking)

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

between myself, a couple we often camp with and a neigbor that travels a lot we have a combined 350K miles or more so under our belts. Tires all have been ST tires.

Failures: I had two nail punctures that I caught thanks to a TPMS system and was able to repair. I have about 75K miles total on my trailers.

Neighbor that has over 200K miles failures: Zero
our camper friends, Zero

Tires have included Maxxis, Towmax, and Goodyear endurance.

Since all of us have 15inch rims and need at least LRD tires, LT tires aren't really an option, so we just stick with ST's.

Of all the other people I travel with only 1 person has had experienced a tire blowout.

By comparison, We (DW and I) have logged 1.2M miles on our cars and trucks. In that distance I'v had at least 4 tires go flat, one was a blowout. The other 3 I caught as they went down fast but at least on a car/truck I was able to detect the tire going down. Now that works out to about 1 flat every 250K miles, on the same order or worse than the trailer mileage all of us have accumulated.

* This post was edited 02/12/20 09:47pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 02:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Since all of us have 15inch rims and need at least LRD tires, LT tires aren't really an option.
Rim size is real easy to change.

If your luck changes, than you know what you can do about it.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

ScottG wrote:

The 16" GY Endurance's have been problem free on our TT and negate the need for LT's. However, I hate the co. and would pay 50% more for a similarly performing tire just to avoid them.
When the time comes for new tires, I'll be checking out all the options.
Agree. I owned a LOT of Marathons. They all failed in short order. At every replacement, I upgraded size and load range. That TT started out life with 205/14 LRC. the last set of Marathons were 215/15 LRE. All failed. I fell for all the propoganda which was parroted here by many about the NEED to run STs. That 2001 TT ended up with Michelin XPS Ribs in 2006. I have not had a single hint of a tire problem ever since.
When GY came out with the Endurance, many of the previous ST proponents here rushed out to buy them (in spite of their professed alliegance to the previous STs)
I having already found a solution that worked.... will not buy a tire from a company that repeatadly told how great their previous tires were.... IOW, they cheerfully took thousands of dollars from me selling me junk tires. They no longer deserve any more of my money.

For those of you trying out these new tires.. I wish you luck.
If you start having trouble, you can always go to LTs then.... And tire size upgrades are possible in many cases. That 2001 TT that started out life with 205/14s LRC had 225/16 LREs when I sold it. Yes I had to make a few changes to make the upsized tires work.... But I had so many failures that I needed to do something to stop them. I grew weary of sitting on the side of the road in 110 degrees dealing with tire problems.

Well your single data point on GY Marathon failures is 100% opposite of mine for the last 20+ years of me using exclusively GY Marathon's all the time except for one set of Kumho 857's. I would also say the 100,000's of other trailers out there running on GY Marathon's w/o all of them being on the side of the road due to tire failures seem to support my experience and not yours. As already mentioned when someone has tire issues I tend to believe that something is the root cause other than the tires themselves, usually underinflation, overloading or excessive speed, non of which anyone will ever willingly admit to especially in a public forum. I never had an actual failure with a GY Marathon, but did have two of the Kumho's actually fail (tread separation at under 6K miles). It is also worthy to note that I ran the GYs within 50lbs of their max load rating for the last 10+ years.

With all that being said I did just this year go with a set of GY Endurance tires, but don't have enough experience yet to judge them.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Agree. I owned a LOT of Marathons. They all failed in short order. At every replacement, I upgraded size and load range.

LOL...that brought back some painful memories about my dealing with Goodyear over their Marathon issues.

When I was young and dumb I let a car tire shop down on the corner talk me into letting him setup all my trailer with the new and great 15"/16" Marathons all made in the USA back then. There were five trailers involved with 28 tires on the ground. In this type of work we can run 60k-80k miles a year so non had time to sit around and rot.
Well long story short after 5-7 weeks myself and my other drivers was changing a ruined tire on just about every trip. I even had two spare per trailer. We were using Goodyear replacement warranty every week. Goodyear finally stopped replacing them under warranty.
What to do.
Finally a very experienced Goodyear truck tire dealer that had lots of commercial customers made me a deal on switching all my trailers to a LT tire.
WOW....that move saved my small hauling business. With LT tires we could actually run 40k-60k miles till the tread bars showed...and zero issues. This type of work we can't afford using a tire with 8 or 9/32nds of tread depth. And we use the same size axles/15" and 16" tires and wheels as on any rv trailer.
One thing I notice RV folks may brag they never had a issue with a ST tires in bla bla years never say how many miles on their tires. Most say they timed out...which tells me they don't tow much in a years time.
Hell I have a utility trailer that sits probably 10 months out of a year with ST tires with 2610 DOT build date code. Guess I could brag no issues in 10 years also. But then thats not all the story.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.