Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

....snip

Since all of us have 15inch rims and need at least LRD tires, LT tires aren't really an option, so we just stick with ST's.

I use good year wrangler HT in LT21575-15 on my horse trailer. Load range D. Tire rack has them or any GY dealer can get them.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curly2001 wrote:

I really don't know what has happened over the years....I mean back in the late 60's and 70's to tires. My folks had an Ideal 19' travel trailer in Tucson for many years. Took trips to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and California with no tire issues. I am sure there were no China bombs back then and for sure there were no radial tires then on trailers......so.....what changed? Back then the trailers were very heavy compared to today, the speed limits were about the same in many cases, in most areas the roads were just as crappy, and we didn't have the tire issues with non-radial tires. Come to think about it, I am not sure we had ST tires either but ran bias ply tires.
Curly

I think it was the radial tire change over. When I first started towing a TT, the tires were bias-ply Carlisles. They were great tires! If you got a puncture, they went flat and you changed it. No blowout or fuss and no excuses. Then they went to radials and the problems started.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was around towing for a living when the automotive tire industry moved to radials. ST were a few years behind.
The issues I had with Goodyear I mentioned above were all with bias ply tires. They simply ran to hot even at max psi.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

Since all of us have 15inch rims and need at least LRD tires, LT tires aren't really an option.
Rim size is real easy to change.

If your luck changes, than you know what you can do about it.

well, so far my "luck" on ST tires is about the same or better than my truck and cars. As in a previous post in 350K miles between myself and a couple of friends we have had no blowouts, just two nails that were slow leaks that TPMS caught, while in 1.2M miles I've had at least 4 quick flats on my cars/trucks. Luckily on a car/truck I can notice a tire going down quick before it blows.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmw photos wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

....snip

Since all of us have 15inch rims and need at least LRD tires, LT tires aren't really an option, so we just stick with ST's.

I use good year wrangler HT in LT21575-15 on my horse trailer. Load range D. Tire rack has them or any GY dealer can get them.

that's only a 2,000lb tire. Overloaded on my trailer.

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

CALandLIN wrote:

The builders of ST tires advertise them as having stronger sidewalls than like sized LT or P tires. To counter that, one would have to get a tire engineer to unequivocally dispute that so called “theory”.

Until you can explain why they catastrophically fail at much greater rate than passenger or LT tires, I'll assume they are lying.

Yes!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another view on the subject: RVTravel emag. Not exactly written in a crystal clear manner but he is saying, I think, that most ST OEM tires are operating too close to the load capacity of the tire unlike most trucks.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Here is another view on the subject: RVTravel emag. Not exactly written in a crystal clear manner but he is saying, I think, that most ST OEM tires are operating too close to the load capacity of the tire unlike most trucks.
While this is true, it is not the entire reason. Many including myself upgraded sizes and load ranges while staying with STs. Some like Calvin reported a fewer failures with this. But not elimination of the problem. He chose to stay with STs. I saw little difference, and moved on to LTs.

The main problem as I see it is a matter of cost. Many times I have seen ST tires marketed as an "affordable solution to your trailer tire needs" Or a "cost effective tire"

There really is not much of a good, better,best hiarchy when it comes to STs. The Endurance which is the present favorite of the ST crowd (there have been quite a few) Is around 99.00 from what I have read here. My Michelin XPS RIBS are about 240.00.. The only thing they have in common is they are round and hold air.
In some respects it is the consumers fault. From the manufacturers wanting the cheapest possible tires (or anything else on a TT)
to the owners that seeing how little they actually use the TT compared to their daily driver, and are loath to spend any more than they have to.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Snip...
Smip...

I have been using Maxxis 15inch ST 225/75R15 LR E on my trailer for the past 4 years and they are on it today. Have not had a single problem and my trailer is a very heavy one - especially when we were traveling South for the winter.
Barney

Maxxis M8008 tires specs

* This post was edited 02/16/20 10:55am by BarneyS *

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

I've seen the arguments for and against. Only observation I've made on this forum over the years is that it seems everyone that's switched over to LT tires is happy with the switch.

I switched back to ST.
With LTs the rig was all over the road and made towing a real workout, and had poorer fuel economy. With STs the rig just handles better in all weather and road conditions with better fuel economy.

The only time I ever had a problem with an ST is when the tires were over 4 years old, and I got lazy and failed to check pressures. I am normally OCD on tire care and never had a problem when I maintained diligence.

LTs require less diligence, true, but the worse handling and fuel economy made it bad trade-off for me. YMMV.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.