Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Westcoasting

westcoast

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a lot of trailers currently and have always had over the years. Back in the day people would take the older used tires off of their trucks and put them on the trailer. Nothing ever happened and no one checked air pressure every morning. Somewhere 20 years ago Goodyear Marathon became standard and quickly followed by a long list of no name st tires. The only tires i had with no issues was Maxxis which i had on my motorcycle trailer. But two other situations with Maxxis and they failed within 4 years. And so did every other brand. Now i have just about everything running on 16" lt tires and it doesn't matter what tire is on they just work. For 15" i use goodyear wrangler ht. No problems ever since switching to Lt tires.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the justifications or arguments in this thread are meaningless without the specificity of rim size and axle weights. Both types have their place or are interchangeable in some instances, again depending on size and load.

Carry on, carrying on....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

They especially dislike marathons, no surprise.

Shocked they are even talking about Marathons since those tires have been out of production for a few years. But there are a lot on the road still, including on one of my cargo trailers.

Here's a video I did two years ago comparing the Good Year Endurance vs Les Schwab Dynatrail on my other cargo trailer.

I'm also an advocate of balancing your trailer tires as I describe in this video
On your tire balancing video... You left out the most important thing.
Most trailer rims are NOT hub centric, rather they are lug centric.
What this means is that the large hole in the center is only roughly centered. And it should not be used to mount it to the balancing machine. The shop needs to use a lug plate adaptor in order to balance the tires. Not doing this can actually make them more out of balance than they were before.
Tire shops hate to do this. You gotta ask, and then watch them to be sure they do it. Twice I have caught them not doing it.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

I'm also an advocate of balancing your trailer tires as I describe in this video
What this means is that the large hole in the center is only roughly centered. And it should not be used to mount it to the balancing machine. The shop needs to use a lug plate adaptor in order to balance the tires. Not doing this can actually make them more out of balance than they were before.
Tire shops hate to do this. You gotta ask, and then watch them to be sure they do it. Twice I have caught them not doing it.

Now that's handy info, I'll keep it in mind

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

Now that's handy info, I'll keep it in mind

You also might check into tire balancing beads. I had them put into new tires, but since I don’t ride in the trailer, I have no idea what effect it has. Things don’t move around much in the trailer, so I’m going with it’s all good.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More fuel for the fire:

1) People who replaced their ST tires with LT tires increased the effective load carrying capacity .... because:

2) The load carrying capacity of ST tires is calculated differently than LT tires. The result is that ST tires are rated to carry about 20% more load, but at a lower speed.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

More fuel for the fire:

1) People who replaced their ST tires with LT tires increased the effective load carrying capacity .... because:

2) The load carrying capacity of ST tires is calculated differently than LT tires. The result is that ST tires are rated to carry about 20% more load, but at a lower speed.

the endurance ST is rated for load capacity the same as other sized ST's yet it carries a speed rating similar to an LT tire, IIRC it is speed rated to 87mph (maybe 81) at rated load, much higher than the typical ST speed rating of 65.

Not as high as many LT's but definitely higher than I'd ever need for a trailer tire!

* This post was edited 02/19/20 04:57pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newer ST tires may carry a L (75 mph) or M (81 mph) speed rating.

Most LT tires we use on the tow vehicle can carry a R (106 mph) or a S (112 mph) for P tires.

Speed rating has to do with the tires ability to cope with internal heat issues rather than how fast we can go.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone make a 14" LT tire? I will not change rim size.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know if any are being made...
You certainly are limiting yourself by not upsizing the rim. The first TT that I put LTs on started out with 14s from the factory. When I went to LTs, that was with 16" rims... Which is the sweet spot for LT tires... Many many choices, as that was the primary pickup size for many years.. May still be.

When I went to 16s, that meant I needed 6 lug drums. They are pretty cheap, and come with new bearings. I did it at bearing repack time. It made the job easier as I did not have to clean the old grease off of the bearings and drums.

I also sold my old stuff on Craigs list. That helped defray the cost of the upgrade.
Gulfcoast wrote:

Does anyone make a 14" LT tire? I will not change rim size.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.