Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

More fuel for the fire:

1) People who replaced their ST tires with LT tires increased the effective load carrying capacity .... because:

2) The load carrying capacity of ST tires is calculated differently than LT tires. The result is that ST tires are rated to carry about 20% more load, but at a lower speed.
This people tryied increasing the size and load ranges with STs before throwing in the towel and stepping up to LTs
What a waste of money on all those STs I owned

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, I will stick with the Goodyear Endurance in 14".

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

CapriRacer wrote:

More fuel for the fire:

1) People who replaced their ST tires with LT tires increased the effective load carrying capacity .... because:

2) The load carrying capacity of ST tires is calculated differently than LT tires. The result is that ST tires are rated to carry about 20% more load, but at a lower speed.
This people tryied increasing the size and load ranges with STs before throwing in the towel and stepping up to LTs
What a waste of money on all those STs I owned

Maybe it's because our experience is that the ST's are fine. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, between myself and a few friends I've traveled with we have put over 300K miles on ST tires with NO blowouts and a total of two nail punctures we caught with the TPMS before the tire went down. That's about the same rate of nail punctures I've had on my tow vehicles.

So I see now reason to go out and get a set of 16" rims for LT tires since there are NO 15" LT tires that have an adequate load capacity for my trailer while the LRE ST tires have a reasonable extra load margin.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So I see now reason to go out and get a set of 16" rims for LT tires since there are NO 15" LT tires that have an adequate load capacity for my trailer while the LRE ST tires have a reasonable extra load margin.

LOL ... No one has told you that you or anyone has to change to LT tire. The message is that those of us who were ST tire victims that have changed to a 15"/16" LT have no issues.

For those with 13"/14" ST tires there is no LT tires on the market any more. Now years back when 1/2 ton trucks came OEM with 15" tires we had many LT tire sizes and load range options.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reason has left this discussion a long time ago.

If you do not like ST tires or you like LTs, GY or whatever your bias, buy what you want.

Nobody is going to give you a metal, pay for your choice and it will not go on you permanent record from high school.

If it feels good, do it. It is a personal choice. The TT and other trailer makers are not going to change.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 01:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

Reason has left this discussion a long time ago.

If you do not like ST tires or you like LTs, GY or whatever your bias, buy what you want.

Nobody is going to give you a metal, pay for your choice and it will not go on you permanent record from high school.

If it feels good, do it. It is a personal choice. The TT and other trailer makers are not going to change.
Lot of truth here.

Notice that in spite of my horrible experience with STs, I just inform people that if their luck with STs ever takes a turn for the worse.... That they have options.

What kills me is the ST fan bois that refuse to acknowledge this, some even after having many failures,,,,then basically try to scare people away from the LT option.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 03:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Newer ST tires may carry a L (75 mph) or M (81 mph) speed rating.

Most LT tires we use on the tow vehicle can carry a R (106 mph) or a S (112 mph) for P tires.

Speed rating has to do with the tires ability to cope with internal heat issues rather than how fast we can go.

Heat.... Brings up a topic I would like to see expanded upon.

I have never checked my tires temps. I am sure some here have... Just what are typical temps?
What is considered acceptable?

Where on the tire should one take a reading?

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Newer ST tires may carry a L (75 mph) or M (81 mph) speed rating.

Most LT tires we use on the tow vehicle can carry a R (106 mph) or a S (112 mph) for P tires.

Speed rating has to do with the tires ability to cope with internal heat issues rather than how fast we can go.

Heat.... Brings up a topic I would like to see expanded upon.

I have never checked my tires temps. I am sure some here have... Just what are typical temps?
What is considered acceptable?

Where on the tire should one take a reading?

Over 125 degrees you'll pull your hand back from under your hot water faucet at home. That's my benchmark so I just feel the tread, sidewall and hubs of my 4 TT tires/wheels. I'm looking for one warmer than the other. I may modernize this year and get an infrared gun. Obviously temps will feel warmer on a 90 degree day vs 50. We should start a fresh thread I'm sure many have the same question

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer my tires were running about 110-degrees on a 90-degree day.

Get a TPMS and you will know exactly.

* This post was edited 02/20/20 07:24am by Gulfcoast *

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

Last summer my tires were running about 110-degrees on a 90-degree day.

Get a TPMS and you will know exactly.

You will know exactly what the temperature of the sensor is, the tire temperature may be quite different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> LT tires on your TT? Let the fight begin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.