cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black tank chemicals

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
what kind of wast digester does everyone use?? iam wanting to switch i am using ODERLESS it doesnt seem to be working.. iam not a full timer but useto be can i get some feed back please
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member
74 REPLIES 74

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Test the water only theory in a porti-potty, or better yet try to run a potable toilet business without the blue stuff.

This post is nonsense. Ever seen a flush porti-potty? Of course not!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Not going to read anything...just. google the "geo method" and thank me later, my 10 yr old gauges still work and no stink.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
Test the water only theory in a porti-potty, or better yet try to run a potable toilet business without the blue stuff.

Might as well compare apples to basketballs.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
The people claiming water only works likely have a smelling problem. We use Walex Porta-pak and Bio-pak tablets and have no odor, even when dumping. But if it sits for a couple of days in hot weather it will start to smell. We might not smell much inside but the vent gases will be strong outside.

Thank you! I have been downwind of too many water only folks over the years.

I think you've been downwind of folks not using enough water. That is a common problem. I get that a lot of times you need to manage black and grey tank space, but often the result is not using enough water. Done properly - that's the key - there are no odors. Either way, these chemicals wreak havoc on the receiving septic systems they are dumped into. Of course most people have moved on after they dump and don't care - they should. A perfume to cover up a problem is not fixing the problem, it creates other problems. But there is a multi billion dollar market on cleaning and septic products that contain perfumes and dyes, caustic chemicals, or stuff they refuse to list on a label, etc to make people feel better because they mask odors. The odor doesn't magically disappear, it's a cover up. Your tanks don't sit long enough for anything to really break down. It's all snake oil. Lots of research to support they are not only horrible for the environment but to people too. But most people choose convenience and personal comfort over these impacts. I don't.

That may be true for you but not for others.

When I dump all the contents are dissolved like they are macerated. And no odor.

I always prefill my black tank with 8 gallons of water to cover the entire bottom with at least 1โ€ of water. That registers as 1/3 full on the black tank sensor. That amount of water is not enough to prevent odors.

Many people have a reduced sense of smell. My late father could not smell much for the last 15 years of his life. Some say it is an early warning for Alzheimerโ€™s.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
The people claiming water only works likely have a smelling problem. We use Walex Porta-pak and Bio-pak tablets and have no odor, even when dumping. But if it sits for a couple of days in hot weather it will start to smell. We might not smell much inside but the vent gases will be strong outside.

I think you've been downwind of folks not using enough water. That is a common problem. I get that a lot of times you need to manage black and grey tank space, but often the result is not using enough water. Done properly - that's the key - there are no odors. Either way, these chemicals wreak havoc on the receiving septic systems they are dumped into. Of course most people have moved on after they dump and don't care - they should. A perfume to cover up a problem is not fixing the problem, it creates other problems. But there is a multi billion dollar market on cleaning and septic products that contain perfumes and dyes, caustic chemicals, or stuff they refuse to list on a label, etc to make people feel better because they mask odors. The odor doesn't magically disappear, it's a cover up. Your tanks don't sit long enough for anything to really break down. It's all snake oil. Lots of research to support they are not only horrible for the environment but to people too. But most people choose convenience and personal comfort over these impacts. I don't.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
RambleOnNW wrote:
The people claiming water only works likely have a smelling problem.

You're wrong.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Lots of water, fill before you dump, dump often and add four or so gallons after dumping. No chemicals needed.

If you ever camped downwind from a dump station, you'll know exactly which RVs use tank treatment and which ones don't
If you are too cheap to use chemical in the black tank, and have no consideration for your fellow campers, stay home !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter Happy Campers content, it really works! I don't plan to use the product for anything I plan to contact so its content doesn't really concern me.
With that said, I am still a big fan of WATER and WATER alone. I sometimes use Happy Camper in the grey tank when I get some odors from an unknown source but only use it in the black if I am going to be dry camping for weeks at a time without dump facilities available.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
DFord wrote:
My Trek friends tipped me off to Happy Campers a few years ago and I've been using it ever since with excellent results. I put one scoop in the toilet and use my bowl mop to clean the toilet (and up under the ring) to keep the bowl sparkly and odor free, then flush. I put another scoop in the sink to swish it around to make sure it completely dissolves before releasing it to the tank. My Trek came with a black tank flush system and I added a diverter valve along with a flush spray for the greywater tank.

https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-rv-holding-tank-treatments/

https://www.smartrving.net/best-rv-holding-tank-treatments/

Can't find anywhere what the list of ingredients are- Not on their website, google search, nothing. (material safety data sheet) Happy Campers consists of Zinc salts and unnamed materials. Happy Camper is a highly concentrated monohydrate (which is a fancy way of saying there is one molecule of water per molecule of the rest of the ingredients). blend of minerals and micro nutrients. Curious why they don't tell you what those micro nutrients are. I'm always cautious of products labelled as "organic" and "natural" as those claims are not really regulated and are used a lot in marketing and further cautious when it's really hard to find out what's actually in it.

I've wondered what is in there too.... like you, I can't find anything that documents the contents.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been using plain water and plenty of it for over a year.

I can tell you the odor is not there UNLESS you are running an exhaust fan when you flush.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We use happy camper with 2 gallons of water.
I respect others opinions but not buying the plain ole water = no odor....been there done that.