Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: black tank chemicals
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> black tank chemicals

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

The people claiming water only works likely have a smelling problem. We use Walex Porta-pak and Bio-pak tablets and have no odor, even when dumping. But if it sits for a couple of days in hot weather it will start to smell. We might not smell much inside but the vent gases will be strong outside.

Thank you! I have been downwind of too many water only folks over the years.

I think you've been downwind of folks not using enough water. That is a common problem. I get that a lot of times you need to manage black and grey tank space, but often the result is not using enough water. Done properly - that's the key - there are no odors. Either way, these chemicals wreak havoc on the receiving septic systems they are dumped into. Of course most people have moved on after they dump and don't care - they should. A perfume to cover up a problem is not fixing the problem, it creates other problems. But there is a multi billion dollar market on cleaning and septic products that contain perfumes and dyes, caustic chemicals, or stuff they refuse to list on a label, etc to make people feel better because they mask odors. The odor doesn't magically disappear, it's a cover up. Your tanks don't sit long enough for anything to really break down. It's all snake oil. Lots of research to support they are not only horrible for the environment but to people too. But most people choose convenience and personal comfort over these impacts. I don't.

That may be true for you but not for others.

When I dump all the contents are dissolved like they are macerated. And no odor.

I always prefill my black tank with 8 gallons of water to cover the entire bottom with at least 1” of water. That registers as 1/3 full on the black tank sensor. That amount of water is not enough to prevent odors.

Many people have a reduced sense of smell. My late father could not smell much for the last 15 years of his life. Some say it is an early warning for Alzheimer’s.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Test the water only theory in a porti-potty, or better yet try to run a potable toilet business without the blue stuff.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Test the water only theory in a porti-potty, or better yet try to run a potable toilet business without the blue stuff.

Might as well compare apples to basketballs.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

harley4275

Belle River, On

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not going to read anything...just. google the "geo method" and thank me later, my 10 yr old gauges still work and no stink.

2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

This post is nonsense. Ever seen a flush porti-potty? Of course not!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> black tank chemicals
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.