Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Water Fill up - Flying J?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Water Fill up - Flying J?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel up and down 95 often and use New Green Acres whenever it is convenient. Nice people running it and easy off/on.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Campforever

Advance, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have had the same concerns over 45 years of camping. My solution was to carry about 10 gallons of water and do a spit bath in the morning.

Randy, Retired and Loving it...
Chevy Dually 3500 Duramax 2015
3910 Montana (2015) Three Slides

5 slides

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before de-winterizing I carry potable water in the heated cab for a bit of cooking / coffee. I carry rv antifreeze for flushing.

Quantum82

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did see New Green Acres, definitely an option. I will call ahead on my way down to see if the have room. I don't want to book it ahead, just in case we get caught up somewhere in traffic.

2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS

jls

canastota, ny

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flying J has a website for RV amenities at each of it's locations. https://pilotflyingj.com/rv-services/

John and Pam
2018 Thor Chateau 22E
Ford Chassis
C90T Suzuki Motorcycle
#9 TO THE FRONT

Sqdancecaller

Minford, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have done the Ohio to Florida trip many times with the same issues you are asking about. We have found that taking several gallons of water jugs meets our needs. It is usually a 2 day trip so no showers just heating water on the stove and doing the sponge bath works ok. Once we get to our destination it's time for a hot shower! We are leaving on March 10th for the Tampa area and hopefully the weather will be good this year. Have a safe trip and lots of fun!

2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

Quantum82

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sqdancecaller wrote:

We have done the Ohio to Florida trip many times with the same issues you are asking about. We have found that taking several gallons of water jugs meets our needs. It is usually a 2 day trip so no showers just heating water on the stove and doing the sponge bath works ok. Once we get to our destination it's time for a hot shower! We are leaving on March 10th for the Tampa area and hopefully the weather will be good this year. Have a safe trip and lots of fun!

We're going to Tampa area too. See ya down there.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At Flyng J's we've encountered water flow at a trickle at the RV lanes and I would not describe the water as potable. The ones on I75south below Atlanta in particular...and the cramped conditions and line of people behind protesting taking too long. Idon't remember if there was a connections for hoses or not or the hose just ahd an end to let you get a trickle into your radiator type thing, certainly not intended to flush your tanks if emptying. A federal campground on the lake not too far from us has a dump station for anyone for 5 dollars and potable water hose connection..however flow was slow.
I would bite the bullet and fill up my tanks in an overnight stay before you get to south Georgia and Florida, where most of the water has a lot of iron and sulfur, other minerals, farming chemicals and will clog a lot of filters. Use a really good filter....and maybe a water softrner.

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are heading down to Florida soon and since my trailer is winterized, I don't want to put water in the tank until we get further south.

Santee state park might fit your bill? We usually stop there from NY to fill. We do carry about 6 gallons of water to use and if it is really cold out we use the toilet but flush with the pink antifreeze. Flying J will be noisy...people coming and going all night. South carolina will allow overnight parking in rest areas even if it says no...we asked a worker once. Also exit 57 in SC has a walmart which could be more quiet.

There is also a new welcome center in Georgia...they are always a good choice....park away from trucks though.

Hope this helps.
Donna

Our Blog

Quantum82

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the responses!

I think we are going to head for New Green Acres. I've never stayed at a Flying J overnight, nor a Walmart parking lot. We have kids, so I think it's just better to play it safe at a campground. I'm also concerned about security, as we will have the bikes on a carrier behind the trailer. I don't want to wake up to those missing in the morning. Not saying that would happen, but probably more likely for sticky fingers at a truck stop than a campground.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Water Fill up - Flying J?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.