Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Upcoming 2021 Arctic Fox Changes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Upcoming 2021 Arctic Fox Changes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

brholt wrote:

They are getting rid of (even on current AF's) the sliding window facing the truck rear window and replacing it with a solid window. Supposedly for leaks but we are going to miss that window since you could leave it open at all times when you were set up.

The ladder will be the bigger "tube" model, also seen in the current Legacy.

I kind of miss my sliding window. It was the one window I'd leave open regardless of weather when camped.
It leaked when driving in the rain. A lot of people in the AF / WC group I am the admin for say the same thing. Multiple people have told me the it won't leak if you leave a roof vent slightly open. That eliminates the vacuum that develops when driving. That totally made sense, because when mine leaked the first time, it was the first time I was driving with all vents closed.

I replaced my slider with a sold window in 2011 at the same time I upgraded most of the other windows.

I'd like a new AF too, and got all hot to trot last Friday, then I had suspicions they'd bee too tall for my shop.

Saturday I went to the local dealer and climbed up on the roof with a stick of wood, 4' carpenter's level and my tape measure and measured them. YEP, TOO TALL.
Mine used to be 11'11" until I switched to a low profile A/C back in 2018.
It's now 11'7". (reduction of 4")

A new AF on my truck with the normal 13" tall A/C would me 12'6" - 12'7".

The increased height totally rules out a new one with all the upgrades they have compared to my old school 2010 relic.

I like the fat tube ladders. ORV has been using them for a while on their TTs.

I have done a plethora of mods / upgrades to my 2010 811, so I guess I will need to keep dreaming up more upgrades to it instead of daydreaming about selling it.

Is this with your F550?
We ordered the low profile 8.9 BTU AC. I am kind of wondering what the height will turn out for our F350

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say about time on the color change!
Now to get other colors and maybe a color scheme in the gelcoat and ditch the cheap azz vinyl graphics.
I like the appearance of them, but they don't last the way most people care for a RV. And once you scrap the old grafix, if you don't do something, it looks like you're hauling a FEMA camper!

If I had time to kill, I would 100% do a vinyl wrap on the TC. Black or maybe diamond plate pattern....or black diamond plate pattern. Maybe add a stripe or wrap the doors and vents in a complimentary color/pattern.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I'd like a new AF too, and got all hot to trot last Friday, then I had suspicions they'd bee too tall for my shop.

Saturday I went to the local dealer and climbed up on the roof with a stick of wood, 4' carpenter's level and my tape measure and measured them. YEP, TOO TALL.
Mine used to be 11'11" until I switched to a low profile A/C back in 2018.
It's now 11'7". (reduction of 4")

A new AF on my truck with the normal 13" tall A/C would me 12'6" - 12'7".

The increased height totally rules out a new one with all the upgrades they have compared to my old school 2010 relic."

I suspected that with the domed roof, but hoped they shortened the sides or something. Guess not.
You #'s sound spot on. Back before I unintentionally removed the AC (standard height, not low pro) from the 860, it wouldn't quite get out my 12' opening with the bags aired up. If I let the truck do the Carolina squat, it would just clear.
I'd say not very good on AF's part to blow out of the 12' tall limit, but on second thought, probably very smart. Planned obsolescence...less people that can get them inside, the quicker they go to ____ and rot out = sell more campers!

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

what the sliding window was good for was it allowed you to run you fantastic vent fan when it was pouring rain (and you had a lid cover on your vent).
Try to open a side window and do that in a wind driven rain storm

X2

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

towpro wrote:

what the sliding window was good for was it allowed you to run you fantastic vent fan when it was pouring rain (and you had a lid cover on your vent).
Try to open a side window and do that in a wind driven rain storm

X2

x3

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

Is this with your F550?
We ordered the low profile 8.9 BTU AC. I am kind of wondering what the height will turn out for our F350

I have the truck in my signature.

On the Arched roof AFs, the height from the bottom of the side wing (which is 1/4" or so LOWER than the bottom of the camper) to the top of the A/C is 115" = 9' 7"

Subtract 4" for the reduced height of the low profile A/C

Add that to the height of your truck bed, subtract what the truck squats with your current camper loaded and that will give you the new camper height.

The low profile A/C probably won't have the 20 watt solar panel on top of it.

The measurements I posted above are what I measured at the dealer in Spokane on two campers Saturday.

* This post was edited 02/11/20 08:58pm by deltabravo *

Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

We went to the Seattle RV show. We upgraded our 1150 to a newer one but because of Northwoods production schedule our new camper will not come until July when it will be a 2021 model. Several of the changes:

Light Gray color with black trim like the current Legacy models. You can see a 990 here:

Legacy AF990

They are getting rid of (even on current AF's) the sliding window facing the truck rear window and replacing it with a solid window. Supposedly for leaks but we are going to miss that window since you could leave it open at all times when you were set up.

The ladder will be the bigger "tube" model, also seen in the current Legacy.

The Legacy models (they are also doing a Legacy 1150 run around March) features the new frameless windows but we were assured that would not be a standard feature of the 2021 models.

Howdy Brholt,
What made you decide to get a new camper ?
Are you getting the same model ?
We've been looking at the 1150 as we like the ability to get a sofa, the large tanks and being able to access the inside with the slide in. (for quick bathroom and snack breaks)

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

I've been seeing a of recent built AFs with the solid window in the front.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My window slides, but I never use it since there is no screen. My truck does not have a slide window. I think the TC slide is to get access to the truck, but not many owners will crawl through and fewer want to put weather seal between the two and rub off all the truck paint. "Leaks" is a lame excuse, in reality, few want or need it and is a feature that is near the bottom of the list and a good place to save a few bucks for something few useā€¦

The smaller btu AC is a good move, TCs have such small cubic feet that it takes little to cool them down. My 9,200 cooled TC down in minutes in hot summer and compressor did not have to cycle that much.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not buy TC without sliding window, who not only allows dogs to walk there in wet weather, but with added boot, it recycles truck cool or heat into camper, so when you stop for a lunch, you don't need to enter 130F inside.
I wonder why TC don't use the low-profile AC. Not only that makes basement models on 4WD reaching 13 feet of height, but my 12' camper looks like having ballon mounted on the roof.
The $150 higher price for low-profile AC should not bear much on $50-80,000 camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Upcoming 2021 Arctic Fox Changes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.