cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pickup truck roof racks?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering getting a couple roof rack bars for my F150. Why? It's a 4 door short 5.5 bed. Basically, close to a 5.5' square about 18" high when using the tonneau cover. Hauling a long ladder would be easier, on top or even if I did the angle the ladder in the bed over the cab. I'm NOT tying anything against the cab roof unless it's an emergency ๐Ÿ˜‰
I'm looking at no drill strap on roof racks.
Anyone already have done this?
Which brand rack?
I have a soft bag roof luggage carrier from a previous vehicle that I could use again as a bonus.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"Barely enough to haul a washer or dryer by themselves. Buy a set, and it will take two trips."

Whatever bud. And get off my lawn! lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Would THIS work for you? If so, I have one for sale on craigslist. PM me for the link. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was using this site to promote something I'm selling.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Of course since station wagons have gone away, a SB CC is now filling that role... Some of these beds are incredibly short... Barely enough to haul a washer or dryer by themselves. Buy a set, and it will take two trips.

Show me a picture of a station wagon with a washer and dryer in it. I think both would fit in a SB pickup but most SB pickup owners are smart enough to let the seller deliver,unpack,setup and haul away for free;)

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
The only way I'd think about those super short bed truck would be with a regular cab. It would be like like having a half cab Bronco or Blazer wich I always liked. Of course they only come in four door so, no thanks.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:

Millions of buyers disagree with you. I've hauled lots of 10' long drywall with my 5.5 bed. With the tailgate down it is almost 7.5 feet. And my crew can fits in my garage.

I agree. Everyone does not want or need a long bed
When it comes to bed length... Bigger is better.

Size matters.

Of course since station wagons have gone away, a SB CC is now filling that role... Some of these beds are incredibly short... Barely enough to haul a washer or dryer by themselves. Buy a set, and it will take two trips.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

Millions of buyers disagree with you. I've hauled lots of 10' long drywall with my 5.5 bed. With the tailgate down it is almost 7.5 feet. And my crew can fits in my garage.

I agree. Everyone does not want or need a long bed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
We'll See wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
That's one reason I just don't understand why pick up manufacturers build such a short bed. 6' should be the minimum and even that is too short for many items. If you had a 10' ladder or 8' sheet of plywood, think how much would stick out past the truck...

True story, and some folks just like to complain about other peopleโ€™s choices.
That said, I really wish the mfgs would make CC LB 1/2 ton trucks.
Thereโ€™s a large industry that can make use of that type of vehicle that are saddled with standard size beds as the best option.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
My new Silverado is tall enough. I wouldnโ€™t add to that height.

Thatโ€™s nice.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to haul canoes all the time. The older trucks were simple to put racks on because they had rain gutters. Now it is more expensive and requires drilling holes. I am thinking about a new rack on my Ford to haul a kevlar Old Town which weighs around 49 pounds.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a headache rack behind the cab.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
That's one reason I just don't understand why pick up manufacturers build such a short bed. 6' should be the minimum and even that is too short for many items. If you had a 10' ladder or 8' sheet of plywood, think how much would stick out past the truck...

Jeep and Explorer

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a Thule Rack to haul bicycles on my last truck and also my current truck.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Yakima roof rack, takes about 15 minutes to put on. We haul our kayaks on it while pulling th FW.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
I use a Thule roof rack in combo with a Yakima bed rack for our kayaks. The reason for the combo is I have a tool box mounted permanently behind the cab. Without the tool box you could use a pair of Thule on roof or a pair of Yakima on the bed rail. Yakima and Thule are not cheap but Very stable. Both can be easily removed.
2018 F150 CC short bed Eco

Edit: The Thule is not strapped on. The have rubber pads designed for a specific vehicle and are tightened down with a hex wrench. Real nice fit

Thanks, I'll have to research those. I was hoping to avoid the cost level of the top brands for an occasional use tool.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,