cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone running the Baja Designs Amber S2 driving / combo ?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
Anyone running the Baja Designs Amber S2 driving / combo ?
A cool guy I know who is really into it has organized a number of scientific tests between all different manufacturers of lights, and he said that using an actual light meter, measured distances, charts, etc… that generally dollar for dollar the Baja Designs stuff generally wins, by a mile, comparing similar lights.
For me he recommended the Baja Designs Amber S2 driving / combo - for a lower priced but good quality combination (Spot for ditch plus wide) light. He said the amber was very pleasing to the eye, and I could angle them out a bit to light up the ditches with the spot beam, plus the wide would be good general illumination.

here is one online retailer of it:
$197 shipped here, for a pair.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/baja-designs-s2-sport-driving-combo-beam-led-lights-black-with-amber-lens-pair.html
6 REPLIES 6

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Got the squadrons because they fit where my stock fog lights are. And KD Fabworks makes a bracket for my truck that only accepts those or the Ridgid equivalent.

Cheaper lights out there for sure, but the quality, weather sealing, and warranty is there.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think my set of driving lights and wiring harness was about $20 from Amazon. They work great and are way more powerful than standard headlights.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
ah got it - thanks for clarifying. Yeah I can see how that combo would work well.

any reason you didnt get the S2 PRO spot AMBER? $314 pair

i'm not sure of the differences.

thanks.

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Squadron Sport SPOT + Squadron Sport WIDE DRIVING. I wanted individual control of each pattern, plus I think I may downgrade to the SAE WIDE lights so I don't have to turn them off for oncoming vehicles. Then I can just use the SPOTS for the super bad snow.

The combo unit should work just fine, but it's not SAE (so you should treat it like you use your brights).

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-sport-pair-amber-led-driving-combo.asp
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Cool - thanks. So to confirm - you got something like the "Baja Designs Squadron Sport Pair UTV LED Light Driving Combo Amber Pattern" ?

I see them for $215 on amazon for a pair - seems like a good deal for the amount of light they spec them at putting out....

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed these about a month ago.

Definitely get the SAE version unless you want to treat them like brights and turn them off for oncoming traffic. The difference in brightness over any stock lights cannot be overstated. I got the squadron sports (not SAE) and treat them like brights. They are strictly emergency lights to be used when driving in the middle of the night through a storm of heavy, wet snow. With my fancy shmancy brand new Ford quad-beam LED package, I couldn't see in that stuff to save my life. The BD lights changed that. I'll try to dig up a few pics

This is NOT the sort of snow storm I'm talking about, but just to give a rough idea...
Stock lights:

squadrons with stock lights turned off.

2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs