cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing through New York City

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed my trailer up and down the mountains of Colorado and California. I've gone up Interstate 5 up California (horrible road surface). I've been stuck in Seattle traffic tie-ups. I've towed in rain and high winds without getting blown out of my lane. A few anxious moments but nothing truly frightening.
My next trip involves towing my travel trailer from Jersey City to Boston over I-95. This involves driving across the George Washington Bridge and over the Cross-Bronx Expressway. Frankly, that scares the **** out of me. What a maze! I'm afraid I'll miss a key exit and wind up on some sketchy surface street without a clue of what to do next.
Am I being being overly terrified or should I just be mildly concerned?
Any tips of what to watch for to make sure I'm in the optimum lane(s) to get through New York City without experiencing any white knuckle experiences?
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel
37 REPLIES 37

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
NY thruway to mass pike will be much more enjoyable.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Actually... I95 traffic is bad going east/north basically until you hit mid-Maine...lol!

Soooooo true! LOL! I've driven that route more times than I can count. And if a random moose happens along it can slow down in mid-Maine!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Lumpty wrote:
Funny sidebar story about GWB tolls, back about 20 years ago when they were merely expensive and not requiring emptying your life savings in one passage, about a trip I made up to the Boston area. I was towing a street licensed car on an open trailer. Both that car, and the tow vehicle, had EZPass transponders. Went through the EZPass lanes, figuring that the system would count axles and ding me accordingly.

But what it did, and this included the tolled Mass Pike portion of the trip, was read the truck as one vehicle and the trailer axles as another car following, via the transponder in the windshield of the car being towed. So I only ended up paying the two car tolls, instead of the at least 3x tow vehicle-trailer one. A bit of an oopsie that worked out to be about $20 to my advantage, discovered when I received my account statement and both transponders were showing sequential tolling all the way through that trip. I'm sure there was something about it I could have been fined for, but after 20 years the Statute of Limitations has hopefully passed.

Interesting story. Makes me wonder what would happen if I had a transponder in the truck and stuck a second transponder on the front of my travel trailer. Not that I would ever do anything illegal.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

NYFifth
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents.... Avoid NYC entirely. Didn’t catch what your pulling, but regardless, whether TT, 5th, Class A or C, avoid NYC.

If traveling towards Boston, take 81 to 84 and travel over Newburg/Beacon bridge. Stay on 84 and connect with the interstate (forget which one) to Boston. Yeah, it may add a few miles and add a bit of time (with traffic in NYC, that is debatable), but it won’t take years out of your life.

Love NYC, and I never mind driving in a car, but pulling any rig???? Fagetaboutit.......

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Lumpty wrote:
I-95 is frequently full of traffic until east of New Haven. I have several friends that live in Fairfield County. It can take an hour to go 10 miles at anytime of day.

Actually... I95 traffic is bad going east/north basically until you hit mid-Maine... lol! Really, past New Haven it can be randomly bumper to bumper all through the rest of Connecticut.

I have towed our camper a few times through NYC, although we always take the Tappanzee whenever we can.

It isn't the end of the world going I95 through NYC. Biggest issue is traffic, just be ready for realllllyyyy slooowww going. Then, the once every 31 years that you hit no traffic, your truck and camper will be blown apart by the bumps / frost heaves / pot holes if you go over 35mph (heavy traffic helps prevent this! lol!).

So... yea... avoid I95....

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Funny sidebar story about GWB tolls, back about 20 years ago when they were merely expensive and not requiring emptying your life savings in one passage, about a trip I made up to the Boston area. I was towing a street licensed car on an open trailer. Both that car, and the tow vehicle, had EZPass transponders. Went through the EZPass lanes, figuring that the system would count axles and ding me accordingly.

But what it did, and this included the tolled Mass Pike portion of the trip, was read the truck as one vehicle and the trailer axles as another car following, via the transponder in the windshield of the car being towed. So I only ended up paying the two car tolls, instead of the at least 3x tow vehicle-trailer one. A bit of an oopsie that worked out to be about $20 to my advantage, discovered when I received my account statement and both transponders were showing sequential tolling all the way through that trip. I'm sure there was something about it I could have been fined for, but after 20 years the Statute of Limitations has hopefully passed.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Do be careful if you take the Tappan Zee eastbound and are following a GPS. Do NOT get on the Saw Mill River Parkway to 684 - you're not allowed and you won't fit under the overpasses.

Personally, even in a passenger car we prefer 287-87-84. Yes, 87 has a toll, but it's a much lower stress route and really not much further, distance-wise. It can often be faster.
2017 LTV Unity

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Just my thoughts, but watch the GSP up north, there are some low overpasses.

A couple different suggestions. Get yourself to 287 north, avoiding the GSP. From there you can either:
A. continue on 287 and over the Cuomo bridge to 84 and through Connecticut.
B. Take 287 N to 87N. Now you can either pick up 84 at Newburg NY OR continue straight up 87 until you get to 90 east (Mass Pike).

Why you ask? I've sat through many very long gridlocks in CT, on horrific roads. The longer route is, IMO worth it. Good roads, far less congestion. And I get to my destination much less tired and stressed. Getting out of Jersey City would be the hardest part.

Under no circumstance would I travel through NYC with my RV when there are other options. The toll to cross the GWB alone is mind-numbing.

Happy Trails.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine. I live in CT between 84 and 95. I go over Tappen Zee Cuomo Bridge BUT I have take 287 north to 87 north to go over the Newburgh bridge on 84. I will tell you from the Tappen Zee to 95 it is about 11 miles.
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I pulled our pop up through NYC. Never again.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
I'd take Lumpty's route. Have done that many times and yes, some of the CT cities are a PITA but are preferable to NYC any day.

Ignore the people who think you are making too much of this. You aren't. I have the utmost respect for people who admit they are squeamish in certain driving situations. You aren't weak-you are pragmatic. I lived within 30 miles of Boston for the first 57 years of my life and learned to drive in and around the city. I'll tackle just about anywhere but unless I had no other choice I would avoid NYC.

Thanks, I have decided to go with Lumpty's suggestion since I don't need to actually be in NYC. It's one of those times when Google Maps is not my friend.
Since I'll be traveling on a Sunday during mid-day I'll take the risk of going through Hartford on I84 since that's the most direct route to Foxboro where the RV Park is located.
Thank you everybody for your valuable suggestions/comments.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove down 91 to 95 and over the GW today and paid 30 something bucks when we got off the NJ turnpike. We only spent about 1/2 hr of stop and go, it wasn't bad.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a business trip to New York and took a self-driving car rental. I returned it the same morning as I'm scared I might die early or kill somebody if I proceed.

And I'm used to LA killer driving conditions.

Yeah, take an alternate route even if longer.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, we did a NE 45-day trip. We were heading south from Maine and we were heading to Liberty Harbor RV Park. We left Foster, RI about 10 am, on what we thought would be a quick 3-hour trip. It took us over 10 hrs. We sat in basically stopped traffic almost all day and evening. It was HORRIBLE! We had 2 kids in the truck that got restless, angry, and full of pee! If you can find another way around, even if it's more miles, take it!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW