Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing through New York City
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing through New York City

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've driven my motorhome through New York City (well, through a good portion of it) a couple times now. I wouldn't do it unless it was unavoidable, as indeed was the case for me as I was going to camp in Brooklyn at Floyd Bennett Field.

At least at the times I've been through, on the expressways I took, it was hard but not impossible driving. Changing lanes took a little patience and isn't a passive exercise, but people didn't seem to actively try to prevent me from getting where I needed to go. Things move fairly slowly. The pavement is on the rough side. I didn't get to admire the sights much.

I definitely would not recommend it for anyone who's not completely comfortable with driving their RV, who doesn't yet have a quite good intuitive feel for where the limits of the vehicle are both side to side and front to back. I'm sure that the difficulty varies with different days of the week and times of the day, as well. Surface streets are another matter entirely, of course, and many have vehicle or height limitations.

Anyway, if possible, I completely agree with everyone else that it's easiest and wisest to go around New York City rather than through it.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Proof we wuz there........

The boss had some business appointments in Washington DC, Trenton, NJ, Farmingdale, NY (on Long Island), and finally NYC on Manhattan. I decided to chauffeur her into NYC in the TC rather than fly/hotel/cab/Uber etc. It was an adventure to say the least. Traffic, tolls, traffic, bridges, traffic, parkways (stayed off [emoticon] ). And then there was the traffic!

We got very lucky in Manhattan, and found a place to park for about 3 hours about a block away from her appointment, and it wasn’t even a metered spot! I stayed with the truck in case I needed to move.

Leaving NYC, we drove north the length of Manhattan on Madison Ave, and left by crossing the Madison bridge.

Anyways, here’s proof we wuz there with the TC. Didn’t do anything else in NYC but take care of business. BTDT, don’t need to do it again.

[image]

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I'd drive a couple hundred miles out of the way before I towed a trailer thru NYC.

NYC and Chicago.
But, I don't have to be towing to give those cities a wide berth.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd take Lumpty's route. Have done that many times and yes, some of the CT cities are a PITA but are preferable to NYC any day.

Ignore the people who think you are making too much of this. You aren't. I have the utmost respect for people who admit they are squeamish in certain driving situations. You aren't weak-you are pragmatic. I lived within 30 miles of Boston for the first 57 years of my life and learned to drive in and around the city. I'll tackle just about anywhere but unless I had no other choice I would avoid NYC.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago, we did a NE 45-day trip. We were heading south from Maine and we were heading to Liberty Harbor RV Park. We left Foster, RI about 10 am, on what we thought would be a quick 3-hour trip. It took us over 10 hrs. We sat in basically stopped traffic almost all day and evening. It was HORRIBLE! We had 2 kids in the truck that got restless, angry, and full of pee! If you can find another way around, even if it's more miles, take it!

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a business trip to New York and took a self-driving car rental. I returned it the same morning as I'm scared I might die early or kill somebody if I proceed.

And I'm used to LA killer driving conditions.

Yeah, take an alternate route even if longer.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just drove down 91 to 95 and over the GW today and paid 30 something bucks when we got off the NJ turnpike. We only spent about 1/2 hr of stop and go, it wasn't bad.

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

I'd take Lumpty's route. Have done that many times and yes, some of the CT cities are a PITA but are preferable to NYC any day.

Ignore the people who think you are making too much of this. You aren't. I have the utmost respect for people who admit they are squeamish in certain driving situations. You aren't weak-you are pragmatic. I lived within 30 miles of Boston for the first 57 years of my life and learned to drive in and around the city. I'll tackle just about anywhere but unless I had no other choice I would avoid NYC.

Thanks, I have decided to go with Lumpty's suggestion since I don't need to actually be in NYC. It's one of those times when Google Maps is not my friend.
Since I'll be traveling on a Sunday during mid-day I'll take the risk of going through Hartford on I84 since that's the most direct route to Foxboro where the RV Park is located.
Thank you everybody for your valuable suggestions/comments.

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago I pulled our pop up through NYC. Never again.

Campincarters

Naugatuck, Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be fine. I live in CT between 84 and 95. I go over Tappen Zee Cuomo Bridge BUT I have take 287 north to 87 north to go over the Newburgh bridge on 84. I will tell you from the Tappen Zee to 95 it is about 11 miles.

2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing through New York City
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.