cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chucking

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Could someone explain what chucking is? I have pulled a fifth wheel for thousands of miles and either I have had chucking and didn’t notice or I didn’t have it.
12 REPLIES 12

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Thanks, the video was good. Maybe I don’t feel it because I use an Andersen Ultimate hitch

I also use an AUH but it still chucks badly, so I don't think this hitch solves any chucking problems. There are volumes of posts and articles about chucking and everyone has an opinion about remedies. Many have spent serious money trying to eliminate it yet can not narrow it down to one single solution. I think it is a natural relationship with the TV and the FW with a lot of different things that can influence the event. Weight, pin weight, FW height, weight distribution, hitch location, FW suspension, TV design, road conditions, etc, etc. I found the best and least expensive solution was to install a $400 MorRyde pinbox. It does not correct the chucking but simply dampens and absorbs the jerking motion enough that you can live with it.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Could someone explain what chucking is? I have pulled a fifth wheel for thousands of miles and either I have had chucking and didn’t notice or I didn’t have it.

Chucking is the fore/aft forces generated by a fifth wheel and applied to the frame of the truck. Due to their high hitch design, all fifth wheel trailers generate some chucking forces; some more than others, some way more than others. If your head is bouncing off the head rest and your wife tells you to sell the trailer, you have a severe chucking problem. Could be you have smooth roads where you live and the forces are so minimal as not to notice. If so, you are fortunate and are good to go.

The Lippert video demonstrating the cause of chucking is ridiculous. Based on their theory, travel trailers would generate chucking forces equal to fifth wheels. They don't.

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Thanks, the video was good. Maybe I don’t feel it because I use an Andersen Ultimate hitch

Yep! One of the great things about the Andersen. Way better than the old Pull-rite auto slider I had before, always felt like the truck and trailer were coming apart!
Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:

We had chucking with our old setup, but changed over to the Anderson about 2 years ago and have felt NOTHING! Not one single time with this hitch.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Certain concrete slab joints can cause chucking with any truck/trailer/hitch combo (not all). Some sections may be several miles long or maybe a few blocks long.
Years back it was referred to as freeway hop.
I've notice it with GN/bumper pull/5th wheel trailers also over the same sections. Some were just noticeable on the rougher roadway joints while other trailers were severe enough I had to slow down.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Basically it is a forward-backward push-pull feeling going down a less than smooth roadway. I have little to none on most highways. But do have it on some, most often those are concrete rather than asphalt highways.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Chucking, not to be confused with upchucking.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I have much reduced chucking after switching to EZ Flex suspension.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe you have a properly setup RV and TV with a good percentage of pin weight.

With your ANDERSEN properly placed and it properly torqued it shouldn’t attribute to chucking.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
chucking is when the pin and coupler are not tight together. You notice it more on a semi.
Bill and Joey the dog

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Definition

Chucking thread
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman