cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

JL Wrangler brakeaway cable

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to install a brakeaway cable for my RVIbrake on my JL Wrangler and cannot find a way through the firewall for the cable. My JL has the I-4 Turbo engine and not much space in the engine compartment. If anyone has found a way through the firewall with the 2.0 engine, please advise. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
7 REPLIES 7

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I could not find a way through the firewall so I used a different route. From the bumper, I ran the cable to the frame and then up through the engine compartment to the top of the driverโ€™s fender and then I removed a small body part next to the windshield (4bolts) and ran the wire behind this part and into the door trim. I then ran it down the door trim and had it come out at the lower door strap opening. I slide it back behind the door trim when not towing and pull it out to hook into the RVI brake.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done this yet since it is too cold still.

The most common way that I have read is to use the plastic plug that for the clutch on manual transmission JL's. I have not been successful figuring this out yet.

My second though was to remove the small panel in the bottom driver side corner of the windshield and see if there is easier access there. I have not looked yet.

I have already installed the Mopar wiring harness.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
For light wiring, I bought the Hopkins kit and the cool tech harness. I bought the cool tech first and was going to use it but it was somewhat complicated to install so I have postponed installing it. I then saw hopkins has a plug and play kit that was 0nly $53 so I ordered it and am waiting on it. If it is simpler to install and works, that is the kit I will use. Mopar has a harness but it was expensive.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

2CAJUNS
Explorer
Explorer
What brake light-turn signal wiring setup are you using on your Jeep tow?

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
A mechanical Readybrake cable is no use with the electrical RVi brake unit.

I always follow the main wiring harness to the firewall and usually am able to pierce the edge of the large rubber boot around that. Have no specific experience with the JL turbo, sorry.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
NSA RV Products RS-5000 Break Away Device

You could run the cable through a sheath to protect it.

NSA RV Products RB-011 Ready Brake Extra Cable

Check prices on Amazon or buy directly from NSA.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/c5/Towing_Accessories.html
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my 2015 JK I just drilled a hole through the firewall inline with the brake pedal.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT