cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pennsylvania Route Recommendations

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I am looking for recommendations on interesting routes to cross Pennsylvania from east to west with a nice overnight stop somewhere in the middle of the state. We're traveling with children ages 4 - 11, so parks with activities for them in the late afternoon and evening would be welcomed. We're pretty flexible with routes in terms of where they cross the state (north, south, middle). We'll be traveling in a 45' class A with a vehicle in tow. The trip is planned for late summer.
11 REPLIES 11

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
SuperBus wrote:
cross21114 wrote:
REally depends on whether your leaving from the north East Coast or the mid-Atlantic East Coast. Tolls on the Turnpike are the main issue.

We'd be coming in across from the Boston area/portion of the coast. Pardon my lack of geographic vocabulary, not sure which part of the coast that is officially referred as.

I'd suggest this. Boston to Knoebles Whether you travel this route or not, if you go to Knoebles make sure you enter where I have marked on the map. There are other entrances but they are not suitable for most campers.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Rt 6 has a lot to see. The Lumber Museum would be cool for the kids as would Kinzua Bridge.There are several state / federal parks along the way. Tioga Hammond Lakes is a federal campground with a lake and swimming beach. Hills Creek is a Pa State park not far off Rt 6.

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
cross21114 wrote:
REally depends on whether your leaving from the north East Coast or the mid-Atlantic East Coast. Tolls on the Turnpike are the main issue.

We'd be coming in across from the Boston area/portion of the coast. Pardon my lack of geographic vocabulary, not sure which part of the coast that is officially referred as.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the helpful recommendations everyone! Since it was only vaguely inferred in my opening post, for clarity we are passing through on the way home from an east coast destination and will be stopping late afternoon mid state for the night and getting back on the road in the morning. Nonetheless, it sure seems like there is a lot to do outside of the two most famous options (Gettysburg and Hershey's) which we plan on devoting time to on a future trip.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
If by chance you decide on the Pa Turnpike route (76) Friendship Village at the Bedford exit would be a great campground for the kids, 2 pools, lots of activities and very genorous ice cream servings, good luck and safe travels. Also agree with the Knoebels suggetions as well.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
As others said, not sure the north south level of travel but another option if more north would be I 86 in NY and hair a few Western sites then angle down through pa. Pa elk herd is cool to see, St Mary's or benezette area but not much else there. Kneobles is great, we always stay at their off site campground, much more space, lake glory.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I second the suggestion of Knoebels as a stop. It's a wonderful place to spend an afternoon or a day.

If your timing is correct for the end of summer, you could stop to see a game or two of the Little League World Series. Camping opportunities are pretty limited in the immediate area (particularly while the event is going on), though some local residents do offer camping/boondocking/RV parking on their property. Regardless, it's a fun and free and very family-friendly event to stop in at.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like gbop said, use the worthless overpriced turnpike. As a 50 year plus resident of Chambersburg it is better to pay the fiddler. And as a matter of fact C-burg is no picnic either.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
One route to consider is US 30, the Lincoln Highway. It crosses the southern part of Pennsylvania.
You can stop at the Amish sites in the Lancaster area.
Gettysburg for the Battlefield and town sites.
There are several CG's in the Gettysburg area and the Chambersburg area.
The Flight 93 Memorial is just off US 30 at Shanksville.

US 30 is a nice drive. However, I recommend avoiding US 30 between Chambersburg and Breezewood. It's 2 lane, mountains and curves.
Taking the PA Turnpike is the best way to avoid this section of 30.
The tolls on the turnpike are expensive.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the little bit of information given, I'll make a few suggestions.
Most interesting Route would be Route 6 across the northern tier. Lots of small towns with some interesting history spread throughout.
Most efficient route (middle) to get across would be I-80. Typical interstate. Nothing to see but trees unless you take an exit.
Last choice for me would be the southern route I-76 PA turnpike. Will cost you a lot of money in tolls.

Where to stay for an overnight? Your gonna need more than one night to see PA. The state is big and there are lots of interesting things to see and do. But with kids looking for entertainment, it'll be hard to beat Knoeble's Grove Amusement Park. They have kiddie rides for the little one and more exciting rides for the older ones (including you). Park admission is free. You buy books of tickets and use them to pay as you ride. If you want to camp on site call them now and try to get in. They have two campgrounds. One is a few miles away but provides a shuttle bus to the park.
If they can't get you in do a search in the area for campgrounds. There are several nearby.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500