Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can’t decide camp in boat or another van or F250 TC

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
still can’t decide camp in boat or another conversion van or F250 TC

I’ve been using my 23’ cabin cruiser as a 3-4 day weekender on water I treat my vessel as a water RV for the last 4 years. 220 mile one way. going is downhill 240’ above sea level to sea level.

Initially been using conversion chevy express 1500 for Towing 3 of those years maybe caught a couple hours quick nap on the rear sofa the van wasn’t like a RV.

When towing late at night, say I arrive extremely late I’ll usually still launch however if the weather is nasty I’ll camp in the vessel plus there’s never ending stuff to be taken care of constantly like rigging boat and fishing stuff.

My objective is to fully camperize the vessel which includes but not limited to.

Galley w/ grill
AC powered by a 2K watt generator
House batteries for freig laptop, GPS & depth fishfinder interior /exterior lights ect.

Ideally I’d like to camperize both the express and the tow vehicle. Vessel has priority.

Currently deciding if I can get away w/ a larger TV like a F250 w/ flat bed bolting down a 2K LB truck camper.
main concern is w/ weight a camper effecting towability.
like when I read payload capacity of 2K LBs and 7K LB s towing can both be dune at same time?
2 REPLIES 2

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 F250 ,6.2 gas and carry a Northstar Freedom while pulling an 18’ Seaway Sportsman CC. The truck is equipped with the camper,towing and plow packages, Timbrens, Stabiloads and overload springs. I launch with either my front or rear hitch. I have towed from Florida to Maine with no issues,mechanically, but severe psychological damage caused by idiots driving around and into me. With my front cargo box, camper overhang, hitch extension, boat/trailer and kick-up long leg motor, we are somewhere around 50’ long. Needless to say, I bypass cities whenever possible. The camper is far superior to any boat I have ever had for on road napping, and eating... not to mention bathroom breaks. Climbing an eight foot ladder to access the ladder to climb into a cockpit of a 27’ Seaward sailboat to unlock a cabin to get to the head in the rain, with a full bladder was always a fun challenge. Encouraging my dear wife to attempt the same gymnastics was more challenging.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have towed a boat and sleep in it on a trailer while traveling. It works fine.