cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Van Camping

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
What type of camping do you do with your camper van and what activities do you do

We camp at State, BLM, USFS, County CGs and some boondock camping

WE see whats in the area that interest us , ride bicycles some hiking, take the dog for walks and relax.

We like the Oregon Coast and the Hi country , I like some desert areas but the wife doesn't like the desert, we also like going to other states to explore history .

We stay very little at privet campgrounds

We use back roads 90% of the time and stay away from big cities.
J herb
8 REPLIES 8

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
We started with my '90 Blazer many years ago.

After we got older and needed more room we moved up to a 2001 Chevrolet Express van and did a DIY conversion on it (see my posting in the DIY forum). It was going to be our winter camper because while my 23 foot TT was winterized, I could go anytime in the van because it was always ready to go in my heated garage. My wife and I liked it so much that we are going to make it our main camper and sell my TT this spring. Besides, at my age, it is time to start downsizing. With the van, it is always ready to go at a moments notice and sometimes we do that when my wife finds a nice destination on the internet and we are on the road the next day.

Last year we moved up to a 2018 Chevy Express van which included OnStar with a data plan. It was easy because the Express has not changed much since the '90's and we love having a WiFi hotspot any where we go on the road and in the campground.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,
It's nice to see that people are using their vans and getting out and enjoying the outdoors.
We have a few things to get done around the house than we will take the bicycles and go to the lake that have some nice bicycle paths and nice camping area.
I have a trip planed to go south into Ca. to take a 83 year old friend out for a day ride than I may do a over night camp.
In April we will tow the trailer to Death Valley NP. and come home the back way through Nevada to Oregon. We will be planning more trips for the rest of the year.
I sure like the van for the quick trips.
J herb

chainegang
Explorer
Explorer
If you view the outdoors as an extension of the camper van's liviing space, It becomes the perfect portable cabin. Other uses such as sightseeing, travel in romote places etc, make it perfect as well. Depends on your lifestyle. Some have problems with cramped space and others absolutely need Wifi and or TV/satelite connection.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I used to do more boondocking, but lately I've been using my van mainly for snowbirding. It's a comfy portable cabin.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Pheonix87
Explorer
Explorer
We stay away from big cities too, we like to relax in a more private setting. After all, it's our time off and away from everything and everyone. We prefer countryside settings, and pack only vitals to make the journey more interesting.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We mostly camp in state or national parks. Sometimes we are sightseeing, sometimes we are enjoying the park for hiking. Often we combine the two.

This spring we'll be staying at Ohiopyle State Park in PA to hike and to tour some Frank Lloyd Wright houses.

After that we'll be taking a circle tour of state parks in NY and PA that have exceptional natural beauty - especially gorges - we love hiking.

We're hoping to get up to the Bruce Peninsula later and then go to NYC again in the fall.

We use our van pretty much like any RV. It is easier to get it ready to go than our trailer so we use it more. Didn't even dewinterize the trailer last year and it looks like we won't this year either...

If you want to see where we've been check out our trip pics linked in my signature.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is sort of our magic carpet for sightseeing. Once in a while we camp for the sake of camping; but most of the time we're on the move. We really enjoy exploring State Parks and their surrounding areas. We've stayed in some really great sites that regular RVs are too big for (or need too many hookups)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much what you two do. I learned to like the desert during training at Ft. Irwin.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad