cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

White Sands National Park

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to just do a drive thru in this park pulling our 5th wheel? Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
14 REPLIES 14

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for info!! Appreciated!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
... and while in the area, there is a pistachio farm a few miles away that has great flavored pistachios -- it's near BootHill RV park.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Since youre there, I'd advise planning on spending a couple of hours enjoying the park. Its a relaxing park to visit and appreciate imo. One of my top 5 NPs.

And thanks to the posters who informed us that this is a National Park now. I hadn't heard that yet.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best times to see the park is either early in the morning or late afternoon. The sloping sunlight brings out the features of the dunes.

As you can see from this shot near sunset. Also sliding down the dunes is a big hit with the kids so bring something they can slide on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
It's actually a single road with a loop at the end so you should have no problems traveling on it. The only three pieces of advice is to be prepared for a possible closure due to weather conditions or short defense closures. Second, keep the RV on the roads and don't venture out of the marked areas. There are plenty of places to pull over, turn around or park. Lastly, sunscreen and sunglasses at the ready! Enjoy.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we will be visiting area in the next 2 weeks. Didnt want to stay just a drive thru. Thanks everyone!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
caysea, if you are a senior buy a federal interagency Senior Pass and worry NO more about entrance fees.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I THINK the park closes when the wind blows.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
And note that in the summer this is an extremely hot place

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
CarnationSailor wrote:
Yes, there is no problem pulling your 5th wheel thru White Sands National "Monument". Also, there are plenty of very large parking areas if you want to stop and explore. And there are spots to camp.

I stand corrected. I didn't know of the recent elevation to national park status, and I was wrong about camping which exists but only in the form of backcountry camping.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
White Sands is a national park. No longer a national monument. There is no place to camp in a fifth wheel but I don't think it would be a problem pulling it thru the park.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I thought I had read some where that u could pull campers thru park road, but wasn't sure. Thanks again!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp? Really, since when. There is hike in camping but no RV camping that I know of. And it is a national park as of a month or two ago.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, there is no problem pulling your 5th wheel thru White Sands National "Monument". Also, there are plenty of very large parking areas if you want to stop and explore. And there are spots to camp.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax