cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on TIP

Keela
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to travel to Mazatlan next winter..Here's my question.. I have a truck and camper and tow a tracker..I would like to bring both vehicles .. I'm single and vehicles are in my name ..Can I get TIP permits for both ..It would mean 2 (TIP 's)in my name for the 180 days ..I understand a camper is considered as cargo and not a RV..also truck is 1 ton Dodge..
Is there a way to get TIP's for both ? and be legal?
I would appreciate any advice ..Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
No province will ever change the registratipn. The vin shows up as a truck
To call it a motorhome you have to show papers where it was an unfinished vehicle and more papers where it was converted. Lots of red tape. Nothing with governments is that easy.

I got away with it once BC plates and jacks removed from camper, convinced the aduana it ewas a single unit. Technically illegal.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Actually you will have an issue. The truck needs a 180 and so does the tracker. You are not allowed to have 2. If you have a spouse its easy, single, you have a problem.

Only possible way to maybe get away with it is remove the jacks off the camper and try and register the truck & camper as an RV. Some have managed it. You may be able to do it on line.

ProudCanuck42
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
I agree, but they will have the final word and attempt to take your vehicle away. Without a cell signal or a handheld, how will you prove that the vehicle has legal TIP?

In fifteen years of traveling around Mexico with my truck and 5th, I have been stopped exactly once at a checkpoint and asked to produce my TIP papers. I said it would take me a few minutes to dig through my papers and find them, so they asked me to pull off the Hwy because we were blocking traffic. I refused because the area where they wanted me to pull off was not suitable or safe to pull my 5th into. After a couple minutes they waived me on and I went on my way.
The point of all this is that #1 it is doubtful that you will ever get stopped and asked for your TIP papers by a Transito. #2 If you do get stopped and you are concerned the Transito is corrupt or whatever, just refuse the same way you would refuse any other corrupt cop looking for mordida. What are they going to do.....ask for a higher bribe?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I agree, but they will have the final word and attempt to take your vehicle away. Without a cell signal or a handheld, how will you prove that the vehicle has legal TIP?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
Because it's so much easier to just show that you have what is necessary.

After 40 years of traveling here, and now living here, we are not confrontational.

If everything is legal, why not cooperate?

ProudCanuck42
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
Are you actually going to refuse to show paperwork to a transito if they ask for it?

Certainly. Why wouldn't you?

Talleyho69
Are you actually going to refuse to show paperwork to a transito if they ask for it?

ProudCanuck42
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
I have heard this on another forum as well. If it is true and they eliminate the sticker, there will be a lot of reason for transitos to stop people to check their papers opening the door to even more corruption. Maybe there's something I don't know.

Supposedly, they will be able to check on line via cell phone. That doesn't sound good to me if some yokel stops you in Quitzcatzicatl.

BUT, Transitos are not authorized to check your TIP. The only authorities that can ask to see your TIP are Federales and Aduana.

Keela
Explorer
Explorer
Based on all the info here ..I think I will cross into Mexico in Nov. and if I'm not able to get the TIP's either online or enroute...I will stay in the free zone which I believe is as far south as Guaymas.
Wow!! Certainly no clear answer. A big thank-you to those who took the time to respond .

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I have heard this on another forum as well. If it is true and they eliminate the sticker, there will be a lot of reason for transitos to stop people to check their papers opening the door to even more corruption. Maybe there's something I don't know.

Supposedly, they will be able to check on line via cell phone. That doesn't sound good to me if some yokel stops you in Quitzcatzicatl.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The windshield sticker is being eliminated according to Sonia Diaz on her Facebook page:
Sonia Diaz wrote:
New car permit (TIP) form. The windshield sticker is being eliminated. Banjercito issues 3 documents. One is the TIP, another is proof of paying the TIP fee of 1050 pesos and the third is the deposit of $200, $300 or $400 US.

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
To call it a motorhome you have to show papers where it was an unfinished vehicle and more papers where it was converted. Lots of red tape. Nothing with governments is that easy.

FYI, back in 2006 I received a 10 year permit on my truck/lance camper and my cargo trailer. It was a sweet gift from consulate banjercito office in San Bernardino.

I know it can be done (at least back then)

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

Keela
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Playaboy...I'm still in Baja where there are no issues ...but I will look into your suggestion when I get back to Canada.