Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need advice on TIP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Need advice on TIP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keela wrote:

The truck is not a dually and in the past my husband and I got permits for our 5th wheel and same truck with no issues.. Since he has passed away ..I now travel with a slide in camper towing a chev tracker which is much easier..
I'm in my seventies and sure would like to go to the mainland again.. If not I guess I'll have to rethink next winter's plan.Hence the reason to be certain before crossing.
I do appreciate all the input and find this forum a wealth of information.

Try to get your province to change the registration on your truck and camper to an RV. Then you can get a 10 year RV sticker for the truck and a 180 day Chevy sticker.

Also, you will avoid the truck GVW issues.

Keela

Vancouver Island B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Playaboy...I'm still in Baja where there are no issues ...but I will look into your suggestion when I get back to Canada.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No province will ever change the registratipn. The vin shows up as a truck
To call it a motorhome you have to show papers where it was an unfinished vehicle and more papers where it was converted. Lots of red tape. Nothing with governments is that easy.

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

No province will ever change the registratipn. The vin shows up as a truck
To call it a motorhome you have to show papers where it was an unfinished vehicle and more papers where it was converted. Lots of red tape. Nothing with governments is that easy.

FYI, back in 2006 I received a 10 year permit on my truck/lance camper and my cargo trailer. It was a sweet gift from consulate banjercito office in San Bernardino.

I know it can be done (at least back then)

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The windshield sticker is being eliminated according to Sonia Diaz on her Facebook page:
Sonia Diaz wrote:

New car permit (TIP) form. The windshield sticker is being eliminated. Banjercito issues 3 documents. One is the TIP, another is proof of paying the TIP fee of 1050 pesos and the third is the deposit of $200, $300 or $400 US.

[image]

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard this on another forum as well. If it is true and they eliminate the sticker, there will be a lot of reason for transitos to stop people to check their papers opening the door to even more corruption. Maybe there's something I don't know.

Supposedly, they will be able to check on line via cell phone. That doesn't sound good to me if some yokel stops you in Quitzcatzicatl.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Keela

Vancouver Island B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on all the info here ..I think I will cross into Mexico in Nov. and if I'm not able to get the TIP's either online or enroute...I will stay in the free zone which I believe is as far south as Guaymas.
Wow!! Certainly no clear answer. A big thank-you to those who took the time to respond .

ProudCanuck42

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

I have heard this on another forum as well. If it is true and they eliminate the sticker, there will be a lot of reason for transitos to stop people to check their papers opening the door to even more corruption. Maybe there's something I don't know.

Supposedly, they will be able to check on line via cell phone. That doesn't sound good to me if some yokel stops you in Quitzcatzicatl.

BUT, Transitos are not authorized to check your TIP. The only authorities that can ask to see your TIP are Federales and Aduana.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you actually going to refuse to show paperwork to a transito if they ask for it?

ProudCanuck42

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho69 wrote:

Are you actually going to refuse to show paperwork to a transito if they ask for it?

Certainly. Why wouldn't you?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Need advice on TIP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.