cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference between Yamaha & Honda Inverters

Greyhound_RB
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question about engine displacement between the newer 2200 watt inverter generators. The Yamaha says 80cc and the Honda says 121cc. The Handa has 50 % more displacement than the Yamaha. If this is true, wouldn't the Yamaha have to run at a good bit higher rpm to put out the same power. If true I cant believe they would both last the same amount of engine hours. Any thoughts?
14 REPLIES 14

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
diginomad wrote:
Wouldn't a bigger engine use more gas?

Sort of. It's more about HP, which is why a twin turbo engine uses just as much gas as it's big brother V8, when towing, because it takes the same amount of HP.

diginomad
Explorer
Explorer
Greyhound RB wrote:
Quick question about engine displacement between the newer 2200 watt inverter generators. The Yamaha says 80cc and the Honda says 121cc. The Handa has 50 % more displacement than the Yamaha. If this is true, wouldn't the Yamaha have to run at a good bit higher rpm to put out the same power. If true I cant believe they would both last the same amount of engine hours. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't a bigger engine use more gas?

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t think that most peaple here are taking there sticks and bricks on holidays but whatever takes your fancy.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that the larger engine in the Honda means it doesn't have to work so hard which is one of the reasons they are quiet.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
bigger generator cost more to operate, and are heavier.

Compared to a small honda, which may or may not have enough umph to start a 15k Btu AC, it's still cheaper. Plus the added advantage of being able to run on 15a A/C line, and charge the battery.
The EZ start in my RV won't help me when I need to start the room AC in my sticks and bricks when the electricity goes out; or my furnace, my sump pump, my refrigerator, etc. Single purpose use for an EZ start compared to multi purpose use for more watts.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigger generator cost more to operate, and are heavier.

Compared to a small honda, which may or may not have enough umph to start a 15k Btu AC, it's still cheaper. Plus the added advantage of being able to run on 15a A/C line, and charge the battery.

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I know that it is not the question, but I like the Honda over the Yamaha because the Honda uses a pump to move the gas. That is opposed to Yamaha which the gas can has to be higher to move the gas.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
get the lesser expensive unit and install an ez start on the aC
For what the EZ start costs you can buy a bigger generator
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
get the lesser expensive unit and install an ez start on the aC

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, ScottG.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
In real life use, the Honda has far better surge capacity. (Yes, We've tested it).
That being said, If I could get what I paid for my Honda, I would go out and buy a Yamaha ef2800i instead of the Honda's 2200 and have even better performance.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I still like Yamaha's Burst feature on their 3kw EB genny. Gives a "burst" of 500w pulled from the starting battery for about 10-15 seconds to help start A/Cs and other high load starting motors. I wish they'd do that on all electric start models. One thing to watch out for in their inverters though, is that the 4kw unit uses a CONSTANT SPEED engine. Runs at a constant 2600 RPM instead of adjusting speed for demand. All other of their inverter-generators are variable-speed, including the 6kw.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
You are partially correct. For a given CONSTANT torque, to get for horsepower, you do have to increase the RPM. I am sure you know that many internal design factors affect the torque generated at a specific RPM so we are not exactly comparing apples to apples.

The other "confusion factor" is that both of these are inverter generators. Inverter generators start by producing a high voltage (around 200V), variable frequency (for AC power, frequency varies with engine speed), 3 phase AC current, typically using permanent magnets. (3 phase AC is much more efficient than single phase.) This is then converted to high voltage DC, filtered and then inverted to a constant voltage, constant frequency inverter circuit.

I suspect the engine size used on those two generators had more to do with what size internal parts (piston, rods, crankshaft, block, etc) both companies already had in production for other equipment. The difference could be from the strength of the magnets, efficiency of the electronics or the power of the engine.

The Yamaha 2400, 2800 and 3000 inverter generators all use a 171cc engine !

The Honda EB2800i uses a 186cc engine, but the EU3000i uses a 163cc engine !

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JMO, but yes, makes sense to go with the bigger Honda engine for longevity, and useable power. Since the price difference is very little, a no brainer really! The Champ is an 80cc but a bargain in comparison, in case that may interest you.

Jerry