Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So whats your payload?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably no need for any. I'm looking at Hallmark myself and have basically the same truck, crew cab, long bed with factory sway bar, 4140 max payload. You should be 1000 to 1300 pounds under max payload capacity once loaded. Let us know how it loads up and what you do.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is my understanding that my possible desire for a fix wont be about payload, as my max payload is about 4,000.

It is that..... my desire may be about ride quality.

Hallmark is super experienced with this exact situation and will advise once loaded. They themselves said my wanting StableLoads is a "maybe" and we'll know once loaded.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

It is my understanding that my possible desire for a fix wont be about payload, as my max payload is about 4,000.

It is that..... my desire may be about ride quality.

Hallmark is super experienced with this exact situation and will advise once loaded. They themselves said my wanting StableLoads is a "maybe" and we'll know once loaded.

^That was my point about waiting until you drive it.
You likely don't understand what your actual available payload or spring rate is.
Your payload "rating" with a gasser engine (engine choice not being a factor in how the truck handles that camper, to the greatest extent) is between 4k and 4500lbs.
But I'm "presuming" the camper package rear springs are essentially dually springs? which are 6000lb+ springs. In which case the truck won't hardly flinch at a 3klb camper. BUT an aftermarket swaybar may be the ticket for stability.
Don't get hung up on suspension mods until you get set up to your max traveling weight. Horse first, cart second.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For ride quality get Sulastic hangers.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update - for those considering the lower StableLoads, they do now make a stainless version, for the Superduty. 

However after speaking with various people about StableLoads…. I spoke with a trusted expert, and he said he had heard of more than one situation that people with campers who were using the lower StableLoads who *broke a spring* when using the lower StableLoads. 

He said they can also can sometimes make noise, so he recommended against the lower StableLoads. 

He did, however, say that the upper StableLoads are a *wonderful* product, and *if* it is needed, they work very, very well. 

So just passing that opinion along. I have no further info. 

Siletzspey

Shedd, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 2015 Ford F350 SRW and NorthernLite 9.6, my rated payload was 3,885, and fully loaded camper, truck and people/pets was 4,000 total. Adding 2 of the 3 lower StableLoad bars/wedges was all I needed, and the factory over-leaf bumper just touched. I did just 2 wedges, since that's all that would fit naturally in the spring gaps when the truck was unloaded. Other than the over-leaf bumpers making knocking sounds when on bumpy roads, the support and leveling is excellent. I later added a RoadMaster sway bar, which profoundly reduced sway to near zero! I purposely avoided air-bags, since they have been known to increase porpoising and sway.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Torklift warranties its products will not damage your suspension. Metal on metal noise typically means not enough preload was selected for the weight you are carrying. The lower StableLoads have three wedges based on your gap between the main spring pack and bottom overload spring - Adding another wedge will quiet down that noise.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For our AC 1150 I put in lower stableloads and air bags and it rode much better.
I split up the air bags as that unit had a slide and they always lean towards the passenger side so that side got 35#'s and the driver's side got 25#'s of pressure and she rode very well.
But that was 4200#'s not 2800 so YRMV

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

PhilR

Albany NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put upper stableloads on my 2019 Chevy 3500 w/ Northern Lite 8-11 mainly to avoid adjusting the headlights. A little stiff when empty.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> you like Torklift StableLoads? / Upper, lower or BOTH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.