cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invalid VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
We are purchasing a used 5th wheel (2014 Lifestyle) and when I contacted our insurance company to add the vehicle, they reported that the VIN is coming back as invalid. The insurance agent also indicated that her husband, whom works at a local RV dealer, also tried to search for the VIN on their system that they use for trade-ins or other, with no results. I also tried CARFAX with no results.

The current owner has a valid FL title, registration and all data matches the VIN on the unit itself. The VIN is 1L9LLf820Exxxxxxx. The insurance agent suggested that the first 3 characters are odd for a VIN. I had a pre-purchase inspection by an RV inspection service with nothing indicated other than scratches or other minor blemishes consistent with a 6 y/o RV.

I know that Evergreen is out of business, so this may be an uphill battle.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW
27 REPLIES 27

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try this website Vin Deooder
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
My son, who was in GA at the time, had the FBI coming knocking on his door in regards to a murder in Buffalo, NY. There was a one character typo of the murder weapon serial number. That one little typo lead them to my son. They quickly figured it out. Interesting things can happen with typos.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
The only correct answer is to get the vehicle VIN from the frame of the vehicle. Everything else is prone to error.

On trailers that can be an issue. Some companies put it next to the hitch or just back from it.. Some hide it.

It being difficult, or "an issue," doesn't make it, not, the only correct answer. Literally every other source involved someone else transcribing the VIN. Errors can occur.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
The only correct answer is to get the vehicle VIN from the frame of the vehicle. Everything else is prone to error.

On trailers that can be an issue. Some companies put it next to the hitch or just back from it.. Some hide it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
a64armt wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
I found a VIN decoder for trailers that work with my 5ver VIN.

Try this and see what you come up with.

http://cmvid.nisrinc.com/CMV_ID/CMV_ID.asp

That web tool identified it as a 2014 Lifestyle RV.

Interesting

I tried the tool and it identified my trailer as a Rockwood Yamaha Motorcycle. Weird:S
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:

That web tool identified it as a 2014 Lifestyle RV.

Interesting
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
The lower case F was an error on my part typing the post. It is an uppercase F.

When I am able to get to the RV, Iโ€™ll located the VIN on the frame and double check. Then find an LEO and see what comes back.

Thanks
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
A police officer or Motor Carrier (Diesel smokey) may be able to help you as a favor.... I know back when I worked dispatch I had a book I could use to de-construct a vin (Tell you what it was) and if he's good enough (I was) construct a vin for the most part (I can't do the xxxxx part ) many dispatchers also have a program on their computer (I helped the author test it) that can help too.

The leading 1 means "Made in the USA" but beyond that. I can't tell you much after many years retired.

I too used to be able to "read" VINS; it was part of the job when I was in Public Safety. I remember the switch in 1981 to the standardized format. Also retired. H E R E - VIN Config is the meaning of each digit and some other useful information. There is a check digit, the ninth character, that is a calculated digit based on everything else. The 10th digit is the year. The actual serial sequence is the last 6 digits. This VIN format is standardized, regardless if an automobile, a trailer, a motorhome, a semi tractor, etc.

From the original post, it appears there's an error in the 6th character; a lower case f. Lower case letters are/were never used in the standardized format IIRC. Depending on the source of the OPs input for the sample VIN, that could be what's causing the problem. As suggested, a Law Enforcement Officer should be able to help, and specifically a certified truck inspector, who would know where the hidden VIN is (all vehicles also have a hidden VIN somewhere).
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
I just went through a similar situation with a scooter. In my case the insurance company made a mistake when they entered the number. There is usually a vin stamped on the frame.

On a recent purchase we got the titles back on our manufacturered home. Since it's a double wide, it has two titles. The "make" on one title reads JACO (it's a Jacobson). No problem there. The "make" on the second title reads KACO.

Called and told the title company about it. They researched it and from its inception, that is how the title was prepared. However, they said, it is an error and it must be corrected. Easy mistake with the J and K right next to each other on the keyboard, but a proofreader should have caught it.

They are correcting it. Just pointing out that mistakes/typos on titles do happen.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will say again. Get ahead of a friendly police officer. Specifically one who works for the Auto Theft Division.. You may have to buy him a very nice dinner or a case of lubrication but since what you are discussing is a typo not a crime. it's a favor not a bribe.

Something you need to know about Vins comes from Packet communications.

When your computer downloads this post it will be in the form of several packets of info. Now each packet contains a "Self check" that validates the packet. if the packet is garbled your computer will send a NAK (non Acknowledge) and ask for it to be resent.. This is why things slow down if you have a weak Wi-Fi or Cell connection.

Same with the VIN. there is a formula I used to have access to and one of the digits is computed from the others.. The vin starts by describing where it was made by want company. and a bunch of physical things (on a car the engine, transmission, body style and more) it continues with the model year and serial number.. But one character (The middle one) is then found by using a mathmatical formula and sort of adding all the others (it's more complex)

That is how they know it is invalid.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
On low volume production items this is not unusual to have happen. Even with cars. My '15 VW Golf Sportwagen is a very rare gas 5 speed manual, bought new shortly after they were introduced that model year. My agent said the VIN was not valid. It took an actual picture of the stamped plate on the dash and door sticker to show that was the actual ID.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be a combination of 17 letters and numbers. No letter "O" always a zero. Not that hard to figure out. An auto theft detective may be of help. They work with vin numbers all day. It's for sure a mistake somewhere, they can never be changed from what the mfg. put on it. I should also be stamped on the frame as well as on the vin tag on the left front. Also take the vin off the title. No State would register it if the number was incorrect.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS