cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH Questions

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
I took my truck and TT to the CAT scales and have a few questions about the number. Hoping you guys can help.

TV is a 2018 F150
TT is an Alpha Wolf 26DBH

I know my TT is just about as big as youโ€™d want to go with a half ton. So I want to make sure I load it correctly.

Unloaded truck wt - Front: 3120 Rear: 2520
Coupled with no WD: Front: 2680 Rear: 3960 Trailer: 5540
Coupled with WD: Front: 2920 Rear: 3640 Trailer: 5640
TT weight: 6540 loaded but with empty tanks

Based on my math, my tongue weight is right at 1,000 lbs - coupled/no WD weight on truck minus unloaded truck weight. That is the correct way to calculate this right?

Second, it looks like the hitch is only putting about 100 lbs of the tongue weight back on the trailer axles.

Third, Iโ€™m still not back to my unloaded weight on the front truck axle.

I assume I should adjust the hitch a bit more to get more weight distribution. Is that correct? My front wheel well distances are within the recommended range but itโ€™s still about a half inch higher when hitched with WD than unloaded.

My plan is to move some of our **** to the rear storage compartment and adjust the hitch to get the tongue weight closer to 13% (right now itโ€™s just over 15%) and further distribute the weight to the front and trailer axles.

Iโ€™m below all weight limits (axles, tires, hitch) but getting close on payload so Iโ€™d like a little more wiggle room.

Thoughts?
14 REPLIES 14

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
iDK.. They say 600lb TW here. If your at 1000 lbs what do you have packed in that thing???

something wrong maybe..

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/alpha-wolf/26DBH-L/4038

Even with my advertised 550 lb TW mine fully loaded one went up 200 lbs to 750.. And that was trip for 3 months on the road from main to florida.. Packed..

I have a 1500 silverado..and that was is a lot of weight for that truck. 1500 payload capacity. I cant imagine what 1000 lbs is doing to that f150...

I was shocked by the number too. We have two batteries, two propane tanks, chairs, firewood, etc. in the front storage area. I guess it all adds up. If needed, I can always remove one of the batteries and tanks and also move the firewood to the rear storage area.

For now, I'll be adding more washers. I also need to move the L brackets 3 inches back on the trailer. The instructions say 27" from the coupler and the dealer put them at 24, which is the minimum. From here, if I need to and the spring bars aren't parallel, I will move the L bracket up one hole.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boomerweps wrote:
While the front wheel well height changes are the key measurements, the other are also very important. What is the loaded, unloaded, and WDH applied wheel well heights?
If you return the front wheel well height to half or less with the WDH, great. BUT, if your rear is squatting down, it increases your TV angle front to back.
I also measure the height of the TT box frame front to back and side to side. I want my TT within an inch or so level for towing.
IMHO, the WDH should try to transfer the weight across the TV & TT and make them all push down on the suspensions.

Generally, not always, but most of the time. IF you get the front right. the back will take care of itself. However. You NEVER want the back higher than it was unhooked.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
iDK.. They say 600lb TW here. If your at 1000 lbs what do you have packed in that thing???

something wrong maybe..

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/alpha-wolf/26DBH-L/4038

Even with my advertised 550 lb TW mine fully loaded one went up 200 lbs to 750.. And that was trip for 3 months on the road from main to florida.. Packed..

I have a 1500 silverado..and that was is a lot of weight for that truck. 1500 payload capacity. I cant imagine what 1000 lbs is doing to that f150...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
e2 hitch.. umm Just put all the washers in.. I believe your side brackets are adjusted so the bars rest parallel with the frame.

do that and reweigh..

let us know..

The only thing you can do after that is move the side brackets up one bolt hole.

200lbs off the front is a lot IMO.

Thing is too how level is the trailer.

how about pics of the set up?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Nothing says you have to restore all the weight back on the front. You've restored over 50%, if your GVWR if greater than 6640 I'd say you're good to go.

I agree with this. Iโ€™m not a big fan of putting unnecessary huge amounts of stress on the receiver and especially the trailerโ€™s A frame trying to force it to sit like it doesnโ€™t have 1100 lbs loaded out back. WD doesnโ€™t lighten the load on the A frame. It doubles it if anything.
Just my humble happy towing opinion but moving weight to behind the trailerโ€™s axles would be the worst thing you could do. Maybe over or slightly forward of the axles to help with tongue weight but not behind.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
While the front wheel well height changes are the key measurements, the other are also very important. What is the loaded, unloaded, and WDH applied wheel well heights?
If you return the front wheel well height to half or less with the WDH, great. BUT, if your rear is squatting down, it increases your TV angle front to back.
I also measure the height of the TT box frame front to back and side to side. I want my TT within an inch or so level for towing.
IMHO, the WDH should try to transfer the weight across the TV & TT and make them all push down on the suspensions.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do agree with Barney. I get my front as close to unhooked weight, and height as I can. On link will make a big difference.

But the real question is. how does it drive. when turning the steering wheel, does the steering seem light, or too easy? If it feels too easy. You will have sway. If it feels normal. you should be ok.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
WDH is a Fastway E2. No chains, but it does use washers to tilt the hitch head. I was using 6 when I weighed it and will be adding more to get more weight distribution.

The front wheel well distance is about half way back to original. Iโ€™ll try another washer or two and see what that does.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Numbers, down to the pound are semi meaningless.
You're well within the capabilities of the truck.
How does it handle? Does it "feel" like the front end is light?
Does it feel like you need more off the rear axle of the truck?
If the answers are no, then you're dialed in.
If yes, then crank the wdh up a bit more.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I put as much weight back on the front to restore to original as I can. And with my WD hitch and both trailers I owned thats tilting the head back with max washerers installed and chain to 9th link on mine from the bars.

All WD are different but with that much weight I would tilt the head as far as you can...

what WD hitch you have?

see towing planner here.

http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales/?w1sa=2920&w1da=3640&w1ta=5640&w2sa=26...
Mike L ... N.J.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '19 F150 pulling a TT with GVWR of 7500 lbs. I put all but 40 lbs back into the front axle when setting up my WDH. Works for me.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does your tow vehicle owner's manual say? My Ford says to measure the front fender height from the pavement before attaching the trailer. Measure it again after raising the tongue jack. Use a WDH to put 50% of the difference back on the front end.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Were it me, I would adjust to try to get the front truck axle as close to unloaded weight as possible and always had comfortable towing. That is the way I have done it for years and have never had a problem. I fully realize that is not what some manufacturers recommend but I want my headlight aim to be normal and not blinding other drivers at night, and I want my truck to handle just about like normal. A half inch at the front wheel well may well translate to several feet high down the road at night.

That is not what some manufacturers recommend however so do what you think is best for you. I cannot say that you should do as I do because each situation is a bit different. The size or strength of your WD bars, the size and strength of the trailers A frame, the type hitch etc. all contribute to the decision.

I would recommend that you read what your truck manufacturer says, read what other members here say, and then make up your mind on whether to add more WD to your hitch. Good luck. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing says you have to restore all the weight back on the front. You've restored over 50%, if your GVWR if greater than 6640 I'd say you're good to go.