cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front Hitch receiver F-250

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at putting a Curt front hitch receiver on my 2008 F-250 super duty.

From my previous beach buggy life in the 80's I still have a Hamburger's (Pt. Pleasant, NJ) custom made aluminum cooler/rod holder rack. I had 2 square receiver tubes welded to the front frame of my truck for easy attachment and removal.

Instead of welding new receivers on my F-250 I was thinking about just buying a Curt, 500 lb. capacity front hitch receiver. 4 bolts to the frame and it's on.

The thing I am worried about is the sway and give with a single attachment point. Is the hitch receiver snug and tight with the different implements you can use with it?
30 REPLIES 30

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
WyoBull,
Exactly what I'm setting up. Too bad Torklift didn't put a receiver for the plate bracket on their Lock and Load Sidekick carrier. Need to be legal with the carrier off and on. I decided to modify the original Ford bracket to make it easier to transfer to the carrier.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
WyoBull wrote:
I installed a Torklift Central front mounted EcoHitch on my 2017 Ford F350. It mounts to the frame of the truck, has a very clean look and the receiver sits right where the license plate mounts....

Interesting TL come with quite different concept than Curt.
The same 2017 model, but Curt hitch mounts under the truck frame.
It looks cleaner, but then I have to be careful crossing ditches and high curbs.
Also when others report problem with engine cooling having front loads, I tested mine with 6500lb camper, 124F in Death Valley and pulling very steep, long grade at 55 mph. Newer Ford, when engine temp raise - will show digital display with better accuracy. Don't remember the numbers, but it never come to danger zone and cooled down within seconds once I reached flatter highway.

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Torklift Central front mounted EcoHitch on my 2017 Ford F350. It mounts to the frame of the truck, has a very clean look and the receiver sits right where the license plate mounts. They ship a bracket that you mount your license plate to and insert it into the receiver. Unless you knew it was there with the license plate on, you would never even know a hitch was there.
It sits up high behind the grill and bumper so there is no issue with clearance.

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitches/front-mounted-receiver-hitches/ford
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
MD is a front plate state, I just moved it to the side.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Nevada require front plates, but lot of cars drive without them.
My generator, sitting 1" from the plate completely covers it.
Drove like that 25k miles via bout 30 states & provinces. Occasionally without rear plate neither when I forget to transfer it from camper.
My car come with no front bracket, so for 2 years I drive with front plate placed in the trunk.
Even if the cop stops you - that should be fix-it ticket, with no monetary penalty.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Any of you front hitch users live in a front license plate state? I'm looking for a good way to mount a plate legally when hitch is in use. Ideas are welcome.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed the Curt front bumper hitch. Had to take the front bumper off and do some slight mods but overall fit pretty good.

I went with the "Silent Hitch Pin" before getting involved with turnbuckles and straps for stability. $35+s/h. No need for anything else. It's tight as a nut!

thanks for all the advice here.

Rick

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Our scooter rack. I ended up adding the turnbuckles to stop side to side rock.
At 6' long the movement from center out is amazing how little at hitch it takes.

Our turnbuckles (amazon link)are 3/8x 16" but the body is extruded aluminum, rated about 200#.
They really dont see that kind of load. Ive had no issue (luck). Cost of steel about 3-4xs but rated at 3000#+.

On the rack side I just drilled holes for the J. Opened up eye to fit over tow hook.

I was going to say 14" seemed close to ground, ours is 26" (receiver). But with drop hitch, bottom of rack is 14" but never hit it.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
This is pics of mine on my old 250 and now on the 350, I am guessing it is close to yours. I need to put turnbuckles on it so it doesn't rock so much, I have them on my work bench just never took the time to put hooks on the front hitch rod holder.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
time2retire wrote:
Just finished installing the Curt front hitch. It wasn't as easy as their videos show. We ended up removing the bumper to remove the tow hooks. We had to grind off a 1"x1" corner of the hook bracket as the install bolt was to fat for the bracket to lay down flat on the frame. Took about 3 hours.

It is solid as a rock on the frame.

How much do does it impact your clearance?

The bottom of the hitch receiver is 14" off the ground. The cooler/rod implement extends about 28" in front of the truck so you have to keep that in mind navigating hilly areas.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2retire wrote:
Just finished installing the Curt front hitch. It wasn't as easy as their videos show. We ended up removing the bumper to remove the tow hooks. We had to grind off a 1"x1" corner of the hook bracket as the install bolt was to fat for the bracket to lay down flat on the frame. Took about 3 hours.

How much do does it impact your clearance?

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 GMC 3500 with a Boss snowplow mount. I welded in a receiver into the cross member of the plow mount. I then installed turn buckles back to each end of the cross member to existing holes in the cross member support brackets. I use it for a front mounted spare tire. lt is rock solid. Boss also makes an air dam to replace the stock one so no cutting was required and the receiver does not interfere with the plow. The truck side plow mounts consist of two side plates that bolt to the frame and the crossmember. Very heavy duty.

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Add some stabilizing turnbuckles from the tow loops to the outside corners of the front rack like this. It will be rock solid then.

:):)

This is exactly what I did with a little front-mount generator box I made. It can still shift a bit, but I only notice it when I'm actively twisting it in the driveway--never on the road.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs