Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Repalcing Onan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Repalcing Onan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read here in other post about variable speed generators, and wondered if they had something else in mind.
Our Quiet diesel Onan 7500 kw in our 2005 Revolution varies it's speed according to load

myface

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Onan corner the market for RV and that is why is so expensive - no competition. New 4000 cost form 3000 to 4000, while 4000 portable cost 600. 3500 Champion will fit into space, but there is problem with cooling. Will have to add a fan to blow down, but Champion is not reliable. I like the Ryobi - less noisy and less fuel. Honda is the best and 1/3 the price that Onan. Yes, some mods will have to be made, but I believe that will be worth in the long run. Yes, Onan is "plug and play", so a Windows for computers, but I run Linux on mine.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I pitched hissy fit to Onan about 3 years ago in Chandler, AZ at the rally about not modernizing their line up. I told them the time had come to switch over to inverter technology so I wouldn't need to put up with their constant speed models whose design probably dates back to the 1940 or before. The engineer I spoke with was on board and had me rant in front of his video camera about what I wanted to see and he completely agreed it was time for design changes. I'm still waiting. I can't figure out why no one has challenged Onan's share of the RV market by offering 4000 and 5500 watt inverter type generators. They could take over the market in short order.

Thank you for doing that! I agree completely. It's time Onan enter the 21st century with their smaller sized generator models for RV use. The only thing I can think of is that they are secure in their existing market and it is just too small therefor not worth it to them to rock the boat. I'm sure a company like Honda could have a 2800, 4000, and 5500 watt RV ready inverter generators on the market in months, . . . . should they decide to. No new technology required. Just repackaging existing technology. We'll see.

Chum lee

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 to just get it repaired correctly or replace with same.
Although depending on RV use I would be tempted to fill the space with a lithium battery and large inverter.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

myface

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I decided to remove the Onan for repairs and come to the halt. I have all disconnected, but in my RV, I have a bracket on each side. While, I can remove the bracket on one side, I can not get to the bolts on another. Does any one remove Onan from 2001 Brave SE? 29A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Repalcing Onan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.