cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilizer Jacks

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my old travel trailer and am in the process of trying to buy a Rockwood 2608 BS. One of the options is electric stabilizer jacks. I have no experience with them. I'm 78 and still find the standard crank up jacks on the four corners easy to operate but would like to hear from someone who has this option. Are they easy to use and worth the extra money?
13 REPLIES 13

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. I've decided to go with the standard jacks just to keep things simple and save a buck. Right now I'm negotiating on the trailer purchase. I used the portable drill on my last trailer until it quit and then resorted to the crank method. Even the crank method isn't that bad.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the 2608BSD. The jacks are great and easy to use. Just remember that they are for stabilization, not leveling. If you force them to try to level they will break and give you a new set of problems to deal with.

Very good point. First time out I tried to level a little with stabilizers and couldn't open/close bathroom door. Lesson learned. Stabilize, not level.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a trailer with auto level but when shopping a dealer recommended the manual jacks. He said using a cordless drill is faster and easier. I've noticed some manufacturers put the switch in an awkward position.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t use stabilizers. TT does not rock enough to bother me and removing them added a bunch of ground clearance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Spade Cooley wrote:
I just sold my old travel trailer and am in the process of trying to buy a Rockwood 2608 BS. One of the options is electric stabilizer jacks. I have no experience with them. I'm 78 and still find the standard crank up jacks on the four corners easy to operate but would like to hear from someone who has this option. Are they easy to use and worth the extra money?

I have the 2608BSD. The jacks are great and easy to use. Just remember that they are for stabilization, not leveling. If you force them to try to level they will break and give you a new set of problems to deal with.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Electric jacks sounds like a good idea IF there is a manual override just in case one or more of the motors fails.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'd rather use an electric drill and always have it on hand for other stuff. These include dropping the spare tire, running a dead slide in and out and various little projects on the road.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Electric drill running the jacks up and down for me.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Lippert electric stabilizers on our last trailer. Slow, loud, and the design allows the trailer to rock left to right since there's no way to lock the stabs in place. I ended up putting flea market scissors jacks under the frame to stop the rocking. And yes, my Dewalt drill runs the manua jacks just fine on the new trailer.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have electric rear stabilizer jacks on our toyhauler, and given the option, I would opt for manual over the electric. They are slow, noisy, and expensive to repair when the motor fails. As was mentioned, a cordless drill is faster, quieter, and easy to replace if it fails.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a cordless 1/2 inch DeWalt drill motor and a jack socket to operate our stab jacks. As a note I tried a cheapie Harbor Freight drill and operating the jacks flatlined the cheap battery PDQ.

Not a problem and I'm 70. But it depends on your state of health. My thought on electric jacks is there is more to fail and go wrong on the road.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Auto-level or it's no sale for this 70 yr old kid. I didn't get it when buying current rig in 2011 but added it nearly 4 yrs ago. Wasn't cheap but I have no remorse doing it.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I am only 60 y/o but have had several strokes and heart issues. When we purchased our 5th wheel I went with the unit that had auto leveling. It really made a difference for me. I know that the electric stabilizers you are referring to are different but pushing a button is easier than cranking any day. The other advantage is my wife can actually level the 5th wheel by herself.

I think that once you have them your going to appreciate the convenience.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle