Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: dealer advertising
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> dealer advertising

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"we always bring our own financing anyway and let them know right from the start"

I don't let them know, Sandia Man. I want their price figuring IN the kickback from their finance company. It will be lower. Then I pay cash or finance with my guys/gals.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would ignore it completely, at least 3 huge variables there, down payment, interest rate and length of term, 5, 10 20 years, and or 20 year but renewable after xx years at a higher interest rate.
I would start looking at the asking price (which is Negotiable).
Before signing, commiting to buy, shop for financing, start with your own financial institution to see what is affordable and the best deal for the money. Yes, the RV dealers will do that as well.
Maybe you can get more RV for the same money, or the same RV for less money.

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should skip the financing part if you're paying cash. Remember the dealer makes tons of money off your financing regardless of who does the loan.....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Yes because in the fine print you will see they have calculated 33 % down -most do not put that much down

most don't but most should...and more.

i'm an advocate of either paying 100% cash for your toys, in this case an RV, or at least putting down a large enough down payment in order to avoid being upside down on your loan. you always want the outstanding balance on the loan to be less than the current value of the RV.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No a monthly payment is not a starting point for purchasing an RV, or anything for that matter.

The dealer can just extend the length of time on the loan to something you can afford. This could end you up in a contract for 20 years to pay off an RV that depreciated to almost nothing in value 10 years ago.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you8 need a flr plan you want. then a out the door figure .then digger it down to meet your heart.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe it's just me but the important figure for me is the total out the door price. I prefer to go through my own financial institutions for financing unless the financial terms are very clearly spelled out before I sign anything. I've been around a long time and I'm very skeptical of dealers. Most if not all the time, they're cutting themselves in for portion of any dealings going through them. Avoid their overhead and check with your credit union.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course it is a good starting point. That is exactly why dealers put the information in the ad. While paying cash for the RV is a wonderful thing, most people will never own one if that is the way they have to buy it. It is surprising for all vehicle sales how many people show up to look at them without a clue as to what the payments will be. Having a good idea of what you can afford under what terms before you arrive at the dealership will help you stay on point and keep from falling in love with more RV than you can really afford and making a huge mistake.

The key is to know your limitations, do your research, and setting your parameters before starting to look. I have watched far too many people get carried away and decide it is only another $100 a month more to get exactly what we want. Often that $100 is the difference between practicality and falling into the deep end. Decide what you can comfortably spend in cash and payments before you go and stick to it.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

... you always want the outstanding balance on the loan to be less than the current value of the RV.
Actually the lender should be more concerned about this than the borrower because the RV is the security for the losn. As long as the borrower has the funds to make up the difference should they decide to sell their RV they are fine.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

rr2254545 wrote:

Yes because in the fine print you will see they have calculated 33 % down -most do not put that much down

most don't but most should...and more.

i'm an advocate of either paying 100% cash for your toys, in this case an RV, or at least putting down a large enough down payment in order to avoid being upside down on your loan. you always want the outstanding balance on the loan to be less than the current value of the RV.

Why would you pay cash for depreciating asset when you could invest that money and get a net return on your investment over financing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> dealer advertising
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.