cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Triangle Trailer tires?

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
So the 2014 5th wheel we have agreed to purchase has Triangle TR656 14ply Load range G tires. They were installed in Sept 2019 with little to no use since then (RV stored for winter).

I have tried to research the overall rating or reviews as compared to Goodyear G614, which appear to be the standard. Not much on the tire, a few ratings here or there, but not enough to make a confident assessment into the overall quality of the tire. I know the price is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a comparable Goodyear G614, and that is it.

Does anyone have experience with these tires? Should I just commit to replacing these before a long distance road trip?

Thanks,
OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW
13 REPLIES 13

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
a64armt wrote:

So the 2014 5th wheel we have agreed to purchase has Triangle TR656 14ply Load range G tires.

They were installed in Sept 2019 with little to no use since then (RV stored for winter).

Should I just commit to replacing these before a long distance road trip?

Thanks,
OJ

"They were *installed* ...... etc.

Check the *DATE CODE* on the tires !!...:@

*If* it's reasonably close (within a few months) to/of Sept 2019 -
and you don't see any obvious sidewall cracking, etc. They're OK.

If you're still in doubt, take one wheel & tire to a tire shop you trust (or think you do) - have them dismount the tire. Examine the inside *yourself* along with the shop folks. (I would expect they will try to sell you 4 new ones).

If all looks good, then -
The answer is *NO* you don't need to replace them...:C

If the *DATE CODE* is a "few" years older than 2019, I would be concerned (they may have sat on a tire shop shelf) before a buyer who didn't know enough to check - came along...:(

Yes.....that DOES happen - How do I know? They tried, I passed on the outdated tires the shop tried to sell me!

Buyer beware!

:W

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned how rough a triangle tire is going to ride.

Hard to balance too.

Nice!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm surprised no one has mentioned how rough a triangle tire is going to ride.

Hard to balance too.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Commercial trucks do not scrub their tires nearly as often when turning tight like trailers do. Not really a fair comparison. I would be leary of an unknown brand purchased to sit on the sales lot.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sell em on CL and buy some good quality "G" tires. MY choice would be the GY "G" tires at Simple Tire at $292 EA. They have the Sailun at $209 EA.

GY will replace the tires if they have a non road hazard failure. No other tire manufacturer will do the same.

Yup, Simple tire has gotten more expensive on Sailun S637's , I am guessing their popularity . But don't despair ๐Ÿ™‚ You can still get them for 158.99 at Walmart , or similar price from Big O tires ,they carry them in stock , just about anywhere in Arizona .

Sailun continue to be about half the cost of those Goodyears

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
Yes, you should replace them immediately; and send them to me for proper disposal.

LOL.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Currently Triangle tires are built primarily in China. However, they are building a huge plant in NC.

They were the first to build the steel cased ST225/75R15 LRF tire. Others have followed suit.

Triangle NC

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The G614 sure isn't the standard for comparing a load G tire. Not with its checkered history.
As mentioned we don't see tire issues with foreign made brands in a all steel commercial class G load tires like we do with load C/D/E ST trailer tires.

I see many haulers (commercial) using same 656 Triangles 17.5" on their service trailers with no issues.

If it was me I would run them...but like any tire watch them.
I also wouldn't let them get below 100 psi while sitting for the winter or running 70 mph down the road.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sell em on CL and buy some good quality "G" tires. MY choice would be the GY "G" tires at Simple Tire at $292 EA. They have the Sailun at $209 EA.

GY will replace the tires if they have a non road hazard failure. No other tire manufacturer will do the same.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should replace them immediately; and send them to me for proper disposal.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
They were installed SEP 2019. What is the manufacture date on the tires? That makes a big difference.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure wouldn't replace them out of hand. That's a lot of money to spend, for a maybe, perhaps, moment. I've not read of that many load range G tires failing. Maybe a few Goodyear G614's :), but really the G rated tires don't seem to have the same issue as many of the E rated tires of 5-10 years ago.

I'd go over them good, check for weather checking and dry rot, especially between the tread. If they look good, and don't lose air unreasonably fast I'd use them. But I'm notoriously tight fisted too though.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The tire manufacturer is the least concerning issue to me. Age, inflation, not exceeding maximum tire weight/load range, protection from sun when in storage, road hazards and balancing are the reasons tires fail. And the longer a company has been making tires, the more complaints.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad