cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a base camp RV park for touristing in NYC

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a location outside of the NYC craziness where we can park, take the toad to a commuter station and then ride into the city to see things like the Colbert Show.

Any suggestions or ideas?
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member
13 REPLIES 13

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like others said, Liberty Harbor is the best bet if your intention is to visit the city. Short walk to the PATH, which is 2 stops into Lower Manhattan, short drive to the Holland Tunnel, which takes you into Lower Manhattan, or a ferry ride from the marina to Lower Manhattan.

Wife and I went there 9 years ago in the winter. Woke up, got ready and went into the city. Wandered around the city all day, returned to the camper and went to sleep. This campground is PERFECT for that type of trip. If you want a campground feel, this is NOT where you want to be.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thank you everyone. This has been so helpful.
Escapees member

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
An additional not-well-known NYC fringe area campground is at Mahlon Dickerson Reservation, a Morris County park a few miles north of I-80 and the Rockaway Townsquare Mall. Commuter bus service to the Port Authority terminal at 42nd St is available at the mall or a few miles away in Dover, where there is also NJ Transit rail to NY Penn or Hoboken.

The park has 18 W/E RV sites in a state park type of setting.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Farther away but maybe the KOA New York City/North at Newburg. Bus tours from the CG to the city.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I'll also recommend Liberty Harbor. This was our view from our spot.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another vote for Liberty Harbor despite its basic-ness. The money and time you save will virtually add a free day to your stay, compared to staying farther outside the city and taking time and money for commuting, parking, etc. The subway (NY PATH) runs frequently (and until very late at night) and is much cheaper than any other parking or transit option.
Joanne

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
I feel you, the last time I was in NYC, Woodstock was going on. Our ship went there for Fleet Week or something and I didn't even know about it until we were back in FL.
Escapees member

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor is a BIG PARKING LOT with water/electric, but it is the closest to NYC, has easy train access. It has NO camping feel, so don't expect any of that. It is easy to get into the city and back out without having to ride a bus or train for over an hour.

So far, I've kept the fam away from there for about 4 years, but I figure next year is going to be a definite. I detest NYC and if I never had to go again, I'd be tickled.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, thank you everyone so much. This is great
Escapees member

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your expectations in check when staying at Liberty Harbor. Basically its a parking lot, W/E with dumpstation, some amenities. As mentioned no need to drive, walking distance to PATH subway and NYC. We stayed off season to ecsape the heat. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor. You can walk to the subway station that takes you across the river to NY. Great views. Manhattan, statue of liberty, etc. We stayed there for 4th of july several years ago. That was a great show. Gravel sites. More like a parking lot, but hookups. Not a resort, but it works for the purpose.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor and Croton Point are the two that come up again and again. Liberty Harbor is quicker to get into the city; Croton Point (in Westchester County) is a half hour walk or a quick drive out the gate to get to commuter rail, and then the better part of an hour to get to Grand Central.

Croton Point has nicer sites (trees, a little room, etc.)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed at Liberty Harbor RV. Does not have much, but is very close to everything.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker