cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Pre Purchase Questions

pasta4lnch
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, new to the forum (and the world of camping)! My wife and I got the camping bug and we want to get a TT. I've read a lot of conflicting info and have some questions before we pull the trigger on one.

I'm pretty set on the layout - bunkhouse with U dinette (preferred, but reg is ok) and couch. King size bed is also preferred. Nearly every manufacturer has one.

My tow vehicle is a 2019 Ram 1500 w the V8 and standard gears

I basically have 2 questions:

1) There are only 2 dealers relatively close to where I live. I'm not over the moon about either of the brands they carry. Is it THAT detrimental to have my dealer close by for warranty repairs? (alternative is over an hours drive, several bridges and traffic to drive the most patient person mad) I can use the close by dealers for repairs, but they obviously won't be covered.

The most reputable dealer near us is a Jayco dealer. The TT that fits my specs is a base model (slx8 284bhs) that is ok, but I've seen nicer. I'll go w it if the warranty issue is that big of a deal, but I really like the KZ or Grand Designs better and was impressed at a Sunset Trail we recently saw at a trade show...

2) Most of the TTs I'm looking at are in the 27/28' interior size. Ram says I can tow 8240lbs. The ones I'm looking at are in the 7500lb range gross (presumably packed out w stuff). I should be ok yeah?

Thanks in advance for any advice!! With the summer around the corner, I am anxious to get on the road and start exploring!!
52 REPLIES 52

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Man they have don some cool upgrades since I bought mine here.

USB ports everywhere
added window for top bunk
put sink in the bathroom and not out in the hall
nice wood backer in master bedroom
comes with tv mounts
big grab handle for entry door
propane tank covers
bigger giant rear storage door... geez mine is tiny

looks like best deal out there

https://www.keystonervcenter.com/2020-coachmen-catalina-summit-261bh-new-travel-trailer-greencastle-...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Question - does it have AC ducts in the bedroom? If not, does it get hot w the door closed all night? Curious...

yes duct in bedroom, and bathroom. yes stays cool with door closed.

also heat duct in bedroom and bathroom.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

pasta4lnch
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Did you order that custom?

yes. It was on the option check list and I optioned it in..

Question - does it have AC ducts in the bedroom? If not, does it get hot w the door closed all night? Curious...

pasta4lnch
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
To the original poster:
You can step out of the conversation by now if you want to.

All good...learning a lot!

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Did you order that custom?

yes. It was on the option check list and I optioned it in..
Mike L ... N.J.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
To the original poster:
You can step out of the conversation by now if you want to.

The typical post has about a 50 to 1 ratio of readers to posters. This means 50 times more people are just reading through the post to glean info for the same or similar question you actually posted. At some point the answers are given to those thousands of readers as much as for the original person. This is why some answers will pull in answers to a question that you did not ask; for the benefit of the general public as much as for you personally...

Happy camping.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be willing to drive to a neighboring state to buy the right rig.

pasta4lnch
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Here is the full wall I ordered mine with.

I will look into this one - I watched that video before and didn't see a discernible difference to the jayco (relatively). There isn't a close by dealer...might need to make a trek.

Funny you mentioned about the bedroom wall. I saw a jayco w the same wall but I don't see anywhere on the site to order/cost. I'll have to check w the dealers. Did you order that custom?

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
OP wrote:
Ram's website claims 8510lbs tow capacity.

Here's my advice - go to rvshare.com and rent the TT you think your truck is able to pull. Take it on a highway trip and let some semis pass you. Good luck.

I sense a hint of sarcasm in his response, but renting once or twice is good advise to find a floor-plan you like and seeing how the truck behaves. Only problem I had when renting was the guy never bothered to check or setup the WDH for my TV, so you do have to be careful there.
Not sarcasm, but real life experience. My FIL wanted to join us on one of our trips and did just as I stated - rented from rvshare.com - selecting a TT based on his tow capacity. I followed him after he picked it up. It was great till we got on the interstate. Thing was all over the place. Same thing on the way to the CG. The guy was a pilot in Vietnam, but was so frazzled that he called the guy to come pick it up from the CG after our stay was over.

And - if you have to modify your TV with airbags, that should tell you something regardless of the axle weight limit conspiracy theories.

Like I said - Good Luck

I see renting a trailer as both a good and disastrous thing to do...

The good - getting a feel for hooking up a trailer, the wdh, the electrical, checking the lights, tires, etc...towing anything in general for the 1st time to get a feel for it how it moves and tracks at turns...

The bad/ugly - A improperly set up wdh can put fear into you while towing especially the 1st time doing so. An improperly wdh can ruin the entire experience I don't care what type of truck you have as I have towed with them all. Now if the wdh is set up properly and dialed in it could be an entirely different experience.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
OP wrote:

Here's my advice - go to rvshare.com and rent the TT you think your truck is able to pull. Take it on a highway trip and let some semis pass you. Good luck.

I sense a hint of sarcasm in his response, but renting once or twice is good advise to find a floor-plan you like and seeing how the truck behaves. Only problem I had when renting was the guy never bothered to check or setup the WDH for my TV, so you do have to be careful there.
Not sarcasm, but real life experience. My FIL wanted to join us on one of our trips and did just as I stated - rented from rvshare.com - selecting a TT based on his tow capacity. I followed him after he picked it up. It was great till we got on the interstate. Thing was all over the place. Same thing on the way to the CG. The guy was a pilot in Vietnam, but was so frazzled that he called the guy to come pick it up from the CG after our stay was over.

And - if you have to modify your TV with airbags, that should tell you something regardless of the axle weight limit conspiracy theories.

Like I said - Good Luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
We figured out what rig we wanted and then shopped regionally for it (southwest) without regard to a dealership being "next door". You should be able to get a 35-40% discount by doing this.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
OP wrote:

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ ps ive owned it 1 year. was able to pay cash for it. before that was a 1991 prowler 19E which served us for 5 years. also cash.

I don't think financing a toy is smart especially when they depreciate like a bat out of hell
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like my rig would be about perfect for you.
its a 2008 flagstaff Microlite LB.

triple stack of bunks with a queen up front. only thing I wish I had was a bit more tank capacity. My f150 handles it well. I have a 3 and a 6 year old, no dogs but we bring bikes and or fire wood. I wouldn't want more trailer with my truck.

1900 lbs payload
- 450 lbs family (this will be 600 ish lbs before we trade in)
- 100 lbs hitch
- 300 lbs wood
- 200 lbs bikes
=850

850 / .13 = 6538 lbs gvwr.

my campers is 4677. leaving me some room to grow. we are happy with the rig

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2008-forest-river-flagstaff-micro-lite-travel-trailer-floorplan-23lb-tr3599
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....