cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Sam trip planner

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
What happened to the Good Sam trip planner. It used to actually be helpful. It used to show mileage, estimated time, gas stops and campgrounds along the route. Now all it shows is turns and miles and good sam parks on the map. You have to somehow figure out where you are to find a campground. This is not helpful at all. I could get just as helpful information from Map Quest (which is not helpful for an RV). What a disappointment !!! Does anyone have a better source for trip planning information ??
4 REPLIES 4

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a paper map of the country and outline our trips from that. Using a protractor and compass, I can outline everything every three hours out as that's all we choose to travel in a day. I can then pick and choose campgrounds from there and use Google maps to plan my trip. Doing it this way also allows me to find things to see and do when we arrive at our destination campground....math is fun.....Dennis

THIS may help.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
At this point, the only one I have not worked to full extent is Co-Pilot RV. I have worked all the onlines that I can find, and they are acceptable (within their respective limits), but as long as it is an online app, it will have a limit that makes it marginal to us. Even though we do carry wire, it is terrestrial cell based and there are many locations (even with my external antenna and 3 watt repeater) that it is unreliable. That makes it problematic. I just don't need a problematic navigator. Streets and Trips or Street Atlas were wonderful for this. (OK Boomer) Those of you that know this know what I mean, and those that do not can only guess.

I miss it. Which ever of us is being navigator now has to juggle between the way out of date SA2015 for fuel stops and EOD and Google maps for accurate local charts. But we also do a daily (our plans are often revised as we learn new things) pre-load of the driver's GPS with that day's plan in the morning. I have yet to have the plan for anything but a bonsai run to last past noon of the third day......

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I used it a couple of weeks ago to plan out our summer trip. I don't know why you don't see the mileages/times, they show up along with the routing instructions for me. It also presents non-Good Sam parks for my consideration though some parks in the database are missing (e,g, KOA Eureka, MO ).
It does not yet show any points of interest however and each trip is limited to 25 stops which is not enough for me.
Just the same, I bit the bullet and signed up to RV Trip Wizard. It blows the socks off of the GS Trip Planner. However some of the routes it comes up with don't seem to be RV friendly and manually changing the route by dragging waypoints doesn't seem to work very well.
There are other trip planners out there.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I'd love to find another trip planner as useful as MS Streets and Trips. I very much prefer sitting at my PC and using software on it to save details of how we're going and were we're stopping. I find every online cloud based shared tool I've ever tried to be very inferior. I bought license to a couple but that turned out to be a waste of money. I'd be glad to hear from someone that's found an alternative.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System