Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: NEED HELP MECHANICAL ISSUE (possibly transmission)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NEED HELP MECHANICAL ISSUE (possibly transmission)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many here might be able to help with vehicle diagnosis issues, but for magnitudes more help...

If you want to get serious about finding answers and finding people who have had the exact same issues then find a DODGE Van or truck forum!

There is absolutely nothing unique about a transmission on an RV compared to the same transmission on the same chassis in the regular van or truck configuration. The RV is just built on a stripped down van chassis.

Vans and trucks often use the exact same motor and trans.

Truck guys on a truck forum will be more likely to know and help you, they are way more likely to be mechanics than van owners, and the truck forums are more active.

You should be able to just browse a truck or van forum for Dodge and find the answer has already been discussed.

Camper forums will be helpful for camper issues like toilets, batteries, roof leaks and such. Go to a vehicle forum for vehicle issues.

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have a 79 Winny on a dodge chassis like you have. If you look closely where the rod along the steering column connects to the pivot point at the lower end there is an offset pin which goes into a bushing. This bushing wears until the hole is too big to allow proper movement to the arm on the transmission. The solution is to replace the bushing. I had to make one out of a piece of steel tubing. You'll probably need help. I would try a Dodge dealer or a good independent shop. Good luck. -Mark.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teacher's Pet wrote:

As Scottiemom has said a "fuse" was the problem. 1998 Intruder Class A on a F53 Ford chassis ... I know it doesn't make sense...changed a blown "cruise control" fuse and all was well never had the problem again. BTW the television interlock was on same fuse circuit.

Apparently the interlock that won't let you shift out of park unless the brake pedal was pressed is on the same circuit which had the blown fuse. Sometimes there's some way of mechanically bypassing this solenoid that's detailed in the vehicle's manual (which would be used, for example, if one needed to put a dead vehicle with a dead battery in neutral in order to haul it around somewhere).

I would not bet money that the poster's old motorhome has such an interlock, but I suppose it might.

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two days and no response from OP! Go figure!

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe that one fella ran her off.

I learned a lot from this thread. Interesting about the fuse connected to the brake pedal and how sometimes that can be bypassed.

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Know of a couple full timming in a beatup Bounder. They where stranded in Maine telling me the linkage between steering column and trans was broken and was told the part was unavailable. I told them that I found that story very hard to believe with thousands of Bounders driving all over the USA.
I believed they then looked into it a little deeper and found something because they are now spending the winter in NH.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NEED HELP MECHANICAL ISSUE (possibly transmission)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.