cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhome fire at Holtville hot springs LTVA

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
We are camped at Holtville hot springs LTVA near Calexico CA. On Friday this Safari MH started on fire. According to the owner on scene it started in the Norcold fridge. The fire department pumper truck arrived in about 15 min but at that point it was basically to keep it from spreading to the nearby trees.

Sad for the owners from British Columbia. The wife was the only one inside when the fire started. She told me that she heard a buzzing and her check fridge light had come on, she reset it but the noise continued and she turned off the fridge. That’s when she noticed the smoke. She grabbed her purse and passport and got out. Within a few minutes it was burning hard.

I took this picture about 10 min after it started. Just when the first responder arrived. Good thing was no one was hurt. They hauled the remains out yesterday. The fire department was called back again because the trees near it were still smouldering.

What remained after the fire department left.

2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada
18 REPLIES 18

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
I installed one of these behind my fridge. Hope I never have to find out if it works but it may buy some time if it only slows it down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077LVMGJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The good news. Nobody got burned or killed.
Norcold has a Recall on some models that is supposed to prevent this
And there is an after market as well.

That said. Fridge fires are actually rather rare.. Other fires .> Well any given specific cause other than "owner stupidity" is very rare. Stupid owners... alas (This includes things like smoking in bed) all too common .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
TCollins wrote:
DrewE wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Personally, I think it was the smoke detector. Everytime one of those things goes off, there's a fire.

You must not do much cooking in your RV, it seems.

You've not witnessed my cooking abilities:E

Hahaha....goes off EVERY time!!!
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Branson N Tucson wrote:
Boy doesn't seem everybody gets a thrill on posting when a MH burns up. And then everybody gives their 2 cents on what started it.

It's because they are very intelligent. :S

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy doesn't seem everybody gets a thrill on posting when a MH burns up. And then everybody gives their 2 cents on what started it.

TCollins
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Personally, I think it was the smoke detector. Everytime one of those things goes off, there's a fire.

You've not witnessed my cooking abilities:E

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I think we can all be glad no one was injured. While the property loss is unfortunate, that no lives were lost is a blessing.

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:
Another Norcold fire. That refrigerator should be outlawed. So much for that little black box safety recall . . . If it had one

Well that may have been an issue. The owner, although shell shocked, said they had the “kit” but had not installed it yet.

1. NOBODY knows for a fact what caused the fire and IF it was the Norcold refer that was the cause. It could have originated from an LP leak in the refer area.
2. Norcold DOES NOT send recall kits to retail customers. The recall has been out for over 10 years.
3. The RV'er was AWARE OF THE FACT AND REFUSED TO HAVE HIS REFER UPDATED. The fact he had the kit, shows his responsibility to have it installed.
4. It is sad they have this horrible problem, but people have to be responsible for there inaction to install recall parts.
5. The unit is over 20 years old and NOBODY knows the history or repair of the systems on this RV. It could have had a dirty burner or nests in the back of the refer that caught fire when it lit on LP. It could have had an LP leak that caught fire from a previous repair that was NOT to spec when the LP section was not secured correctly. Doug

I agree Doug, I certainly would not jump to any conclusion. I was only relaying what the owner said to me, and what happened just prior to the fire. I asked her if they had had the upgrade done and thats what she told me. I know that we had a recall notice on our Dometic fridge and the fix was done by a dealership.

The Safari looked in good condition but you are correct, you never know how things are maintained.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doug, what you've said are all truisms. However, it's also well documented that Norcold fridges have a history of 'issues'. Does anyone know when we get our next check from them???...thanks...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:
Another Norcold fire. That refrigerator should be outlawed. So much for that little black box safety recall . . . If it had one

Well that may have been an issue. The owner, although shell shocked, said they had the “kit” but had not installed it yet.

1. NOBODY knows for a fact what caused the fire and IF it was the Norcold refer that was the cause. It could have originated from an LP leak in the refer area.
2. Norcold DOES NOT send recall kits to retail customers. The recall has been out for over 10 years.
3. The RV'er was AWARE OF THE FACT AND REFUSED TO HAVE HIS REFER UPDATED. The fact he had the kit, shows his responsibility to have it installed.
4. It is sad they have this horrible problem, but people have to be responsible for there inaction to install recall parts.
5. The unit is over 20 years old and NOBODY knows the history or repair of the systems on this RV. It could have had a dirty burner or nests in the back of the refer that caught fire when it lit on LP. It could have had an LP leak that caught fire from a previous repair that was NOT to spec when the LP section was not secured correctly. Doug

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the 80s I had a Class A engine fire while driving along I-75 in Tennessee. A fan wire had been pinched by the doghouse when it was closed. We managed to put the fire out by pouring beer on it (Michelob), it took 5 out of 6 cans. Any size fire extinguisher would have been pricesless at that time, so I carry 2 now. I was able to get the engine running and drove the rest of the way to Ohio.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Atsrmf - two fire extinguishers may well not be enough. I saw an RV fire start in our RV park several years ago. Neighbors all grabbed their extinguishers...... at least six were used Plus one water hose......after several minutes of intense work they managed to extinguish the beginning fire. I don't think two fire extinguishers would have come close to doing the job.... Owners were not home....but the neighbors also saved the little dog inside.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad