cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to clean old lap sealant with besides denatured alcohol

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Found out last night you cant buy denatured alcohol anymore in my area. Even amazon wont ship it.

Acetone seems so strong. Go with IPA instead? Or maybe a cleaner like SPRAY 9?
19 REPLIES 19

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Most places that sell paint have denatured alcohol. Local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, I always thought CA was screwed up with all the restrictions, now even denatured alcohol !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Had really good results with Spray 9 cleaner. Learned about the stuff from an auto detailer. He likes using it on RV roofs and vertical streaks down the sides. It's a degreaser and also kills mildew so its a better choice over a product like purple power when you want to kill possible germs.

Used a 99c store kitchen brush and got it close to fully clean. Followed up with 91% IPA and didnt notice any further stain removal. Kind of think the alcohol could be more hurtful than helpful.

I need to buy another tube of sealant. Still have a couple areas with old dirty sealant that I can clean and do a test. Will use a q tip and try denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, ipa, spray 9.

I think the mineral spirits will probably clean the most grime off. While spray 9 is probably the least aggressive and safest while still cleaning great.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Always used simple rubbing alcohol.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. Never allow mineral spirits to puddle up on an EPDM roof however.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Not in good ole cali anymore. Brief search brought a boat forum and in January a couple guys bought some from West Marine in CA. They think the floor staff just didnt know and hadn't removed the product yet. The boat guys use it for stove fuel.

My buddy does underground construction and says they can still get it in CA. Sounds like you need a permit.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
The big box stores - Lowes/HD sells denatured alcohol which is 85% to 95% alcohol.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
You have a few choices.

In an aerosol can, try Brakleen from any auto parts store. It's a strong degreaser generally for cleaning brake/carburetor parts.

In a can, you can use acetone (dimethyl ketone) or MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) if its too hot for acetone. Mixed xylene, toluene, or lacquer thinner will also work, if available in your area.

If not available in retail stores, try a wholesale automotive paint store if you REALLY want to get serious.

Make sure you read/understand the labels before use so you don't light yourself (or anything else) on fire. These solvents are flammable and some will quickly dissolve paint/plastic.

Chum lee

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ronsonol lighter fluid cleans darn near anything.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
They sure do, but wont ship to my location.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Found out last night you cant buy denatured alcohol anymore in my area. Even amazon wont ship it.

Acetone seems so strong. Go with IPA instead? Or maybe a cleaner like SPRAY 9?

Nonsense. Amazon sells and ships featured alcohol.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Cool deal. Not a fan of mineral spirits. Trying to think up a good reason why. I want to say it leaves a film behind. I have a full can of the stuff in my truck.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
Paint thinner does a better job of cleaning and removing old caulking. As a final step before recoating, I do use 91% alcohol.

Yes, that paint thinner would be mineral spirits.

Mineral spirits (paint thinner is what old guys call it).:)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits. I prefer Mineral Spirits; I feel it cleaned better with less effort.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)