cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch requirements

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel. The trailer I want to buy is 6,000 unloaded. I decided on an equalizer hitch with sway control. Do I need two sway bars, one for each side, or is one sufficient.
11 REPLIES 11

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
1 is fine on that size of a trailer.
How can you say that without knowing how long it is?

Why are you nitpicking my post suggesting one, and not other people's suggestions of 1?
Because of your stating that a 3/4 ton truck makes the difference. As my previous post stated, it is the size of the TT not the TV that is the main factor.

For the OP, at 29' you exceed the capabilities of a single bar.Read the directions that come with the bars. It will tow better with two.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try one, if it works you're good to go. If not add another. My 33-foot (overall) 7600 lbs works just fine with one. I think it's more important to get the proper amount of tongue weights and balance side to side first. Worry about sway control after the setup is right.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 29' Imagine, by Grand design.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You only need the appropriate drop tongue with proper size trailer ball.

WDH/sway on a truck with 17klb tow rating for a 7000lb trailer is ridiculous, mostly sales pitch and partly inexperience of the owner.

The only reason you might need sway control, is if the weight distribution/axle placement of the trailer is horrible and the thing just doesn't pull straight down the road. In which case that is a select problem with that model TT, not a universal call for belt suspenders and garters!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
deltabravo wrote:

Why are you nitpicking my post suggesting one, and not other people's suggestions of 1?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
With some of the lighter TTs out there now, it is wasy to be over 30' at the OPS stated weight. A TT that long has a lot more sail area to catch the wind from oncoming or passing vehicles or just a normal wind gust.

This is why there are two stated limitations for a single bar. Weight AND length.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings and grace to you,

I ran 2 bars and I believe it is a very good method of sway control... my trailer was 31 ft long. Itโ€™s more the aerodynamic load on the side of the trailer than the trailer weight.

However, please beware that what you are trying to prevent is the wiggle from passing vehicles, road irregularities, and wind. Sway and wiggle are not the same thing. Sway is the sever oscillation (tail wagging the dog) and should be dealt with directly. Balance the trailer and make sure you have 10-15% tongue weight with a (My Preference) sweet spot about 13%. Set up the weight distribution hitch correctly. THEN add the sway bar/s.

Resist the urge to fix sway with sway bars if at all possible. You fix sway in the set up of the entire rig.

WD hitches are not difficult to set up. E-Trailer has some excellent videos as does Curt and a few others on YouTube. Read your specific instructions and enjoy the ride.

I personally prefer the standard WD hitch and add on sway controls. I feel it gives me more flexibility , cheaper to purchase, and more likely to get replacement parts on the road if needed.

Thanks and best of luck to you!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The size of the truck is not a determining factor, when deciding on 1 or 2 friction sway controls. The size of the TT is. Generally 1 control is good for 6K and 26'.
If your TT exceeds either one of those parameters, then 2 controls would be best.
Note: While a bigger truck may be more comfortable than a 1/2 ton when exceeding the limitations of 1 control.... Those sway forces will still be present. They are cheap enough. If you need two, buy two.

I have used a single then a dual friction bar setup, then needed a bigger hitch and the EQUALIZER was the best deal.
I found that there is a definate difference between 1 bar and 2,,, And 2 is roughly equal to the EQUALIZER. I would not hesitate to use a friction bar setup again.

In fact I think it is the best setup for newbies.
The reason is simple. The integreated sway hitches rely on TW and setup for the sway control to work properly. If the setup is less than ideal, then both the WD and antisway functions are impacted.
OTOH, with a friction bar, one can miss the setup by a lot and still get some benefit from it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you asking about the Equalizer brand hitch or are you calling a standard WD hitch an equalizer hitch? the Equalizer brand hitch has built in sway control and requires both WD bars for the built in sway control. If you are talking about a standard WD hitch with the add on friction sway bar then yes one should be enough. however stepping up to the Reese Dual Cam (straight line) system would be best!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
With a 3/4 ton truck and a 6000lb. trailer one should be more than enough.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the set-up. An Equalizer hitch for instance has arms on both sides. A sway bar attaches on only one side.

Can you show a photo?