cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower drain clog.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
The water in our shower drains slowly. By the time our shower is over we are standing in water. We think it must be a hair clog just because we don't what else would cause it. Our question is what should we do to fix it.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
16 REPLIES 16

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful with a coat hanger or snake in an RV because of the use of the HepvOยฎ valve in place of a P or S Trap. Using a coat hanger of snake will destroy that valve and allow orders into your unit.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
straighten a wire coat hanger and dig around, you may be surprised

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We take the cover off in the shower and pull out what we can. If that doesn't work well enough, we bring a hose inside the bedroom window and stick it down the drain with a towel wrapped around it to catch the spray. Then turn it on a little at a time. We do this about once a year and that works for us. We live in the coach year round so adapt your frequency based upon your own usage.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Charles, thanks for the reminder. I totally for got about that handy gizmo.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Try this, you can also get locally, WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Products-Drain-Cleaning-1-Pack/dp/B00OM31OOM

This thing works good.

jelly_belly_bea
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with cavie.Itook mine apart and cleaned the duck bill.Lots of hair gets stuck in the bill
has anyone driven highway 88 from reno to pine grove,ca.w/a 36ft 5th wheel

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made a tool to clean my drains by wrapping a bicycle tire tube around the male end of a short piece of hose. I connect the female end to my garden hose. The tire tube end fits into the drain and seals the ID to form a tight fit. I hold it in place and someone turns on the hose, this will blast the clog and soap scum buildup out of the drain.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Some RV's don't use a p-trap for the shower drain. i can't remember the name but I call it a duck bill drain. Look for an access panel to get under the shower.These thing go bad often.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the roof vent was plugged with debris, all would drain slow, even the grey tank outlet.

My shower has a remove able goose neck, in basement right under the shower pan.

Seems IIRC, someone posted a while back, that wife with long hair, best to use outside shower???

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Take the shower drain cover out on the shower floor.

You beat me to it, I say we should find out if it is just a big glob of hair and soap scum in the drain. Is what happens to mine. Lets not take the camper apart if we don't have to. :W

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
The water in our shower drains slowly. By the time our shower is over we are standing in water. We think it must be a hair clog just because we don't what else would cause it. Our question is what should we do to fix it.

Take the shower drain coverout on the shower floor. Pour 1 cup of baking soda into the drain then slowly pour 1 cup of white vinegar. It will immediately start to bubble up. Then run hot water until it drains really easily. If needed repeat the process until your shower drains normally.

Smily
Explorer
Explorer
Did u unscrew the cover plate and look in sometimes u can get lucky see it with flashlight nd pull it out with needle nose pliers

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to check besides a clog, is the vent pipe for the tank where it comes through the roof. Check to make sure wasps of dirt daubers have not been building a nest at the top of the vent pipe plugging it.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I would imagine that it is a super short run to the tank from the shower. Snaking it would be pretty easy. Have you had the trailer for a while and is the problem new? If so, have you also considered checking the vent? Some times they get debris or nests in them.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk