Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Rez fridge question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rez fridge question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many are running Samsung 18 cuft on 600W MSW inverters but it uses a DC compressor...will start off one battery. I put in a 21cuft EnergyStar Whirlpool that draws 8A (measured before the 1000W PSW inverter) ...96W and uses 1.2-1.3 KW/day. Plenty of 100-110AH 12V batteries (I added 2-110AH just for the refer). I’m good for 24 hours but rarely go that long as the house batteries need charging before then.

The JC 12V compressor replacement for the NoCold 1200 uses 110-120 AH/ day... only slight better than my 21 cuft. My EnergyStar 21 only increases 1 degree/hour shut off unlike the poorly insulated No Cold...partly why they are such POS.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY

A 70 ah battery will last a lot longer than 3 1/2 hours unless the fridge is running continually non stop, which would only happen if the fridge door was left wide open the whole time

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

JimK-NY

A 70 ah battery will last a lot longer than 3 1/2 hours unless the fridge is running continually non stop, which would only happen if the fridge door was left wide open the whole time

Which residential refrigerator do you have that is using so little power?

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2013 tiffin 36LA, Samasung RF18HFENBSR, 2 6v GC2, 230AH.

with batteries at 12.7 I can get 10 hours out of them if I run nothing else but the parasitics and outside temp 70-85. That leaves the batts at 12.0-12.1.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

JimK-NY

What I am trying to say is a fridge does not run constantly at 10 amps for 3 1/2 hrs non stop. So a 70 ah battery would last longer than 3 1/2 hrs.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't the TV contribute to charging the batteries while towing? I know it won't necessarily keep up totally, but certainly it should contribute to the amount of time you can go between recharge time, right?

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like my situation is like yours, I store my camper at a storage place without power, and will pick up the camper on the way home to load it up.

No need to pre-chill it. Takes about 20-30 min to cool off, and if the items you load into it are already refrigerated it stays cold. We towed 14 hours with 2 6v golf cart batteries with the charge from the truck, and still had plenty of battery power.

When I go to get the camper, I turn on the inverter/fridge, and the hookup the camper, and drive the 10 min to the house, by the time I’m ready to load it, it’s pretty chilly in the freezer and cool in the fridge.

I’ve had a resi fridge for over 3 years, and I would not go back. We are in Georgia, and not really places to boon dock, so we always have power at our destination. If you camp with hookups go resi.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks wowens79. The only other foreseeable problem I can see is when we overnight somewhere while travelling and dont have hookups. I guess 4 golf cart batteries wired in series & parallel might do it for an overnight trip.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

temperature outdoors greatly impacts this calculation as well, if it is 95 degrees out...

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

JimK-NY

What I am trying to say is a fridge does not run constantly at 10 amps for 3 1/2 hrs non stop. So a 70 ah battery would last longer than 3 1/2 hrs.

Fridge may not run 3 1/2 non stop, however there IS lots of OTHER parasitic items which DO.

RV stereo, rv heater, DSI water heater, propane detector all draw small amounts of power even when turned off..

Heck even a 16K BTU furnace will draw 7.5A while the fan motor is turning, jump to a 30K BTU furnace and now you find yourself drawing 10A with the fan turning....

Turn them on, use some lights and perhaps water pump and now suddenly you now have a near flat 70ahr battery in short order..

A single 70Ahr battery is not going to support the startup surge of the fridge once the battery has a few Ahrs drawn out. The battery voltage will sag more and more under the surge until the inverter drops out at around 10.5-11V..

Not much leeway with 12V systems from full resting voltage 12.8V to a dead flat of 10.5 V with most inverters alarming at 11V or shutting down around 10.5V.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rez fridge question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.