cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUGE Propane tanks on new Backcountry models from ORV

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Last week I was wandering around the local Northwood / Outdoors RV dealer. A model caught my eye because it had graphics I hadn't see on other ORV models. I went over and took a look at it.

It's the Backcountry model 20BD, which a new model for the mid 2020 model year. It used to be called the 20SK.

The new mid year changes across the Backcountry series include HUGE 40 lb propane tanks, solid surface counter tops, flush mount range, a generate delete option, which still makes them "generator ready".

8" I-beam frame, cap on the front instead of Filon and Diamond plate.
16" Goodyear Endurance tires, plus a few other things I probably don't remember.

Here's a short video tour I did.

Overall, I'm impressed with the changes.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
12 REPLIES 12

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
Those are 40 lb tanks that hold 9.4 gallons not 40 gallon tanks.

Typo. I fixed my original post. I meant to type lbs, not gallons when I was typing.
Thanks for posting what the gallon capacity is, which is something I was curious about.

Tough call on the need for that size, with normal cooking, and hot water also on electric, we go through about 7 gallon tank once a month, we heat with electric.
I had the occasion to lift a full 40# tank, and not the easiest thing I have done, but easily doable.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
HUGE? I thought I was going to read about a couple permanent tanks like on a MH. 40 is just top of the normal range. Although as said 40 is getting a bit heavy to manhandle as the years pass. I would rather have 3+ 30# cylinders for extended use.

On our present TT,I have 3x30# tanks, 2 on the tongue and 1 in the PU bed as a spare for the TT and also to use for our BBQ and also for a small gas campfire when we are in places where open wood fires are forbidden.We camp frequently when temperatures drop down below freezing overnight. Nice to have that extra bottle.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Oh, I can't ley this slip past me;
"A 40 pound tank weighs 32 pounds empty" - This sounds like a government measurement! Funny.

Is this political talk?
BTW, I remember when you could by a pound can of coffee.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, I can't ley this slip past me;
"A 40 pound tank weighs 32 pounds empty" - This sounds like a government measurement! Funny.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I'm surprised that those tanks weigh over 70 pounds -- I thought propane weighs about four pounds per gallon, which would be about 40 pounds plus the weight of the tank itself?

My guess is that I am wrong about this.

In any event, lifting 70 pounds onto the front of a trailer is not easy, especially for those of us with aging backs. I could do it, but I would first have to get a pre-authorization for a visit to a chiropractor. 😉

A 40 lb cylinder weighs about 32 lbs empty.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
HUGE? I thought I was going to read about a couple permanent tanks like on a MH. 40 is just top of the normal range. Although as said 40 is getting a bit heavy to manhandle as the years pass. I would rather have 3+ 30# cylinders for extended use.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm surprised that those tanks weigh over 70 pounds -- I thought propane weighs about four pounds per gallon, which would be about 40 pounds plus the weight of the tank itself?

My guess is that I am wrong about this.

In any event, lifting 70 pounds onto the front of a trailer is not easy, especially for those of us with aging backs. I could do it, but I would first have to get a pre-authorization for a visit to a chiropractor. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
kellem wrote:
ORV has some innovative features across the board, been impressed with they're stuff.

Not sure of the necessity for 40 gallon tanks though as Propane consumption is so minimal for the most.

If you have a propane generator, or run the heat alot, it seems like a great feature. If no to the above, then it's overkill for capacity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Arcamper wrote:
Those are 40 lb tanks that hold 9.4 gallons not 40 gallon tanks.

Typo. I fixed my original post. I meant to type lbs, not gallons when I was typing.
Thanks for posting what the gallon capacity is, which is something I was curious about.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
Not sure of the necessity for 40 gallon tanks though as Propane consumption is so minimal for the most.

Onboard Generator is why they put the 40lb tanks, although this particular unit didn't have the generator.

I have an onboard gen in my Nash 17, which I used a lot last summer: 90+ hours. It went through at least 4 30lb tanks of propane.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Last week I was wandering around the local Northwood / Outdoors RV dealer. A model caught my eye because it had graphics I hadn't see on other ORV models. I went over and took a look at it.

It's the Backcountry model 20BD, which a new model for the mid 2020 model year. It used to be called the 20SK.

The new mid year changes across the Backcountry series include HUGE 40 gallon propane tanks, solid surface counter tops, flush mount range, a generate delete option, which still makes them "generator ready".

8" I-beam frame, cap on the front instead of Filon and Diamond plate.
16" Goodyear Endurance tires, plus a few other things I probably don't remember.

Here's a short video tour I did.

Overall, I'm impressed with the changes.

Those are 40 lb tanks that hold 9.4 gallons not 40 gallon tanks. They are nice though so you don't have to refill as often, I have them on my Montana and they are heavy when full (about 72 lbs each).
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
ORV has some innovative features across the board, been impressed with they're stuff.