cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swing away Honda bracket.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Pleasure-Way Van. It is Generator ready but where the generator goes there is a nice storage trunk that I hated to loose by installing the ONAN genny that would normally go there. We own a Honda 2000 that runs the AC OK so I wanted to figure out how to carry it without blocking the license plate or hampering access to the rear of the RV when the rear door is open. That way I would have a quiet genny and I could keep our storage area. I could find nothing on the market that suited my needs so I bought a little angle iron and drug out my welder. I already had a 12 inch drop hitch for our receiver so when turned 90 degrees it gave a good solid base to work off of. The RV already had the auto transfer switch and breaker installed so it was very simple to wire it up. There is a fuel line available but for now I'm just using a gas can. Pretty simple if you want to build one....

John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity
8 REPLIES 8

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
Are you camped in the Alston Tract in that pic?

No, that picture was taken at the trailhead to Little Otter Spring in Florida. It's about a 1 1/4 mile walk in to the spring which falls into the Suwannee River after a short run.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
JimBollman wrote:
Is the storage trunk underneath? I have been thinking of removing my Onan since I don't really use it and either try to build a storage compartment underneath or move the spare back under and make the whole van shorter. Haven't come up with a good way to make waterproof useable storage underneath.

Sorry for the delayed response Jim. We went on a little RV trip and just got back. To answer your question, yes, the trunk is just forward of the rear bumper and is accessed through a hinged hatch under the night stand. You have to open the rear van door to get to it. We have the EXCEL TD model. I'm not sure how it is configured in the TS model.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of going in from the top, but that would be a lot handier than crawling underneath. Be a more major modification since I would have to fabricate a door.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Are you camped in the Alston Tract in that pic?

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
To OP: nice piece of work, occasionally I wish I had a welder I could pull out and knew how to use it. 🙂

Your spare tire reminded me of a discussion that took place last year at the annual b-rally.org Class B Rally about whether a spare tire is really necessary (especially since it was said that several current Class Bs are sold without them). The spare tire on our 2005 LTV was on the back so LTV could create a "basement storage" like you have created in place of the spare tire (the generator on the Sprinter chassis is in front of the axle). We now have 153K miles on our LTV and the only flat tire we have had happened when we were parked at a relative's place overnight and the tire went down due to a nail picked up somewhere that day. This episode educated us on the difficulty of changing a flat tire on a Sprinter van. We got it off and the spare on only because our host had a heavy duty lug wrench that allowed us to get the lug nuts off, the lug wrench that came with the Sprinter was useless. So anyway, I took our spare off almost a year ago and it is stored away in our garage based on our almost no use of it and the growing aggravation of it being in way of the back door (especially after putting a screen in the back openings. I figure I can use our insurance that covers roadside service if we ever have another flat tire, unless we decide to go to Alaska again (unlikely).

But to get back to the "basement storage", when we were shopping for a Class B back in 2005 the "basement storage" was one of the three things that sold us on the LTV vs a couple of other Sprinter-based Class Bs that we liked. I think you will find it as a helpful addition to your Class B. We certainly have.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
Is the storage trunk underneath? I have been thinking of removing my Onan since I don't really use it and either try to build a storage compartment underneath or move the spare back under and make the whole van shorter. Haven't come up with a good way to make waterproof useable storage underneath.

Sorry for the delayed response Jim. We went on a little RV trip and just got back. To answer your question, yes, the trunk is just forward of the rear bumper and is accessed through a hinged hatch under the night stand. You have to open the rear van door to get to it. We have the EXCEL TD model. I'm not sure how it is configured in the TS model.

John & Gloria
South West, Florida

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
What a great job you did! Thanks for the details...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That’s a very tempting theft target. Ten seconds to cut the chain?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad