cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

which size drinking water hose?

jayflight116
Explorer
Explorer
Got my new trailer now accessorizing. 1/2" or 5/8" water hose? which would you recommend? will it make much difference one from the other? thanks in advance.
29 REPLIES 29

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van:
I really like your idea of the 15' & 35' lenghts. Make a lot of sense to me.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
***I use 1/2" hose instead of 5/8" so that there is less warm water between the hydrant and the RV. A hose can get very warm if direct sun can hit it.***

I have used both sizes and given the small size of RV plumbing haven't found the 1/2" hose limiting in volume.

Agree with your comment + others that say 1/2 is easier to handle.

I lean towards 1/2".

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you go 1/2" or 5/8", I'd suggest getting it 50' long, then cut it into a 15' and a 35', adding the new ends as necessary. That way, you can use only what's needed; 15', 35', or 50' (combined).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
As others have said it does not make a difference in pressure or volume. What I find is the smaller dia hose kinks less, rolls up easier and takes up less space in my water compartment.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
Will not make a lot of difference , go for 5/8 .

jayflight116
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the advise. love this place

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
either will work but make sure you attach a pressure control guage of some sort so you don't blow your lines up

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
OleManOleCan wrote:

I put in 1/2" water lines and a quality pressure reducer at the hydrant.

I'm fixing to have a total knee replacement in March, so my camping will come a little later, after I've done a bunch of rehab.

I use 1/2" hose instead of 5/8" so that there is less warm water between the hydrant and the RV. A hose can get very warm if direct sun can hit it.

I did one new knee 3 weeks ago, doing well and walking unaided. Another one in just under 3 weeks is scheduled. Good Luck, do the therapy as best you can.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
OleManOleCan wrote:
I'm fixing to have a total knee replacement in March, so my camping will come a little later, after I've done a bunch of rehab.

Make sure you do the PRE SURGERY exercises, and follow the post surgery instructions. You can tell which friends have done what their doctors told them, as they are moving quite will a short time later. Those that didn't are months into recovery whining about how the surgery didn't go well.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Having a pressure limiting device is much more important than what sized hose.

Heed ppine's post. This can be VERY important.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the plumbing in my 75 Prowler... Frozen and busted...
Lowered the cost of purchase.
I put in 1/2" water lines and a quality pressure reducer at the hydrant.

What difference does it make? Not a lot, my inside hydrants all neck down to 3/8".

I did have the peace of mind that the previous plumbing was gone, and My plumbing did not leak.
Last Fall, I made dang sure I did everything when I winterized my trailer.
I blew out the lines, then filled them with the Pink stuff.
It will take a couple minutes to drain all the lines and run clean water thru them before I take it out this Spring.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My current favorite water hose is by "Flexzilla". This 5/8" hose stays really flexible even in sub-freezing temperatures. I carry a 3' length, a 10' length, and two 25' lengths that cover every situation I've run into so far.

Flexzilla Garden Hose, 5/8 in. x 25 ft., Heavy Duty, Lightweight, Drinking Water Safe
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
For drinking no difference for showers like no difference and for filling the on board tank 5/8ths or 3/4ths

Some years ago due to an issue with the city water where I'm parked I started filling the on board and using it (There were multiple issues including 120 PSI at the faucet) Most of those issues are now resolved (I have a good regulator) but I still fill and pump.. Since wife died I can go 3-4 weeks w/o filling. I stay in two parksm Summer it's 2/weeks 2/weeks.. Winter 2/1/2/1. So I fill up just before I leave Wed. and I'm good till I get back. no need to break out a hose at the other park.

And though the hose is hooked up today.. It's full of air so freezing is not an issue if it gets cold.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
jayflight116 wrote:
Got my new trailer now accessorizing. 1/2" or 5/8" water hose? which would you recommend? will it make much difference one from the other? thanks in advance.

If you want the best.....easiest to handle and rolls up super easy, Get this -
Zero G water hose

I bought one of these last year and love it! Much easier to handle and store than the white rv hoses.