cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad options

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
After spending a considerable amount of time and treasure to outfit my 08 JK to be towable behind my Cambria ,I found that it did not go on as many trips as I thought it would that would require a toad. I do travel quite a bit solo but my Honda Ruckus sits on the back of the coach.

Sure, it was great to have at Moab and out in the desert, but I find myself using my side by side and motorcycles more as the wifey likes to stay home and chase bees with her business. I have a 12ft. flatbed for that.

So, I now have a 19 Rubicon. At this point Im not real comfortable setting IT up and possibly ending in the same scenario.

I have access to a tow dolly and if I were to rent a small car and tow it behind the motorhome. I need a car for fishing trips in the Sierras, Bonneville and maybe another adventure with the wife to Mt St Helens. All our other planned trips will not require other transportation.

Does anyone else do this sort of thing.
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's a bummer, didn't realize the front wheels needed to be turning to lube the case.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
So, you are planning on borrowing a dolly, renting a car and towing it when needed?
Are you dragging the empty dolly to near your destination then renting a car nearby?
2 trains of thought.
1. Rental company will never know you're towing it if you drive away with the car. Liability? Assuming your insurance covers rentals, check with them and it essentially doesn't matter what the rental co policy is, if there's an incident, you're paying whether behind the wheel or behind the moho.

2. You have a brand new Rubi, why not just dolly it if you don't want to flat tow it and save the rest of the hassle?

Can't dolly a jeep, it needs to be either 4 up or 4 down. The jeep on a trailer exceeds my C's weight limit.

My concern is basically for my fishing in the Sierras. Last night i did a little more research and have discovered a few

more roads that allow off road vehicles to be driven from point a to point b.The only requirements are stop/tailights

and insurance which i have and ohh yeah my green sticker So I can leave my campsite and get to

some great streams on my side by side.If you get to Arizona they allow travel down the road provided you have all of

what I said plus directional signals. In quartzite that a very common mode of transportation. California hasn't caught

on yet.

UPDATE:
A local to me car rental company that is not a national chain replied, sure no problem. Once I get ready and carefully read the contract I will be on my way

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So, you are planning on borrowing a dolly, renting a car and towing it when needed?
Are you dragging the empty dolly to near your destination then renting a car nearby?
2 trains of thought.
1. Rental company will never know you're towing it if you drive away with the car. Liability? Assuming your insurance covers rentals, check with them and it essentially doesn't matter what the rental co policy is, if there's an incident, you're paying whether behind the wheel or behind the moho.

2. You have a brand new Rubi, why not just dolly it if you don't want to flat tow it and save the rest of the hassle?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Back when we were towing cars with a wrecker, we also towed backwards because all of the cars were rear wheel drive. Most drivers now have no idea which wheels are powered.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
My destinations usually involve somewhat of a remote area near a stream or lake . I am going to research more and speak to the agencies. From what I have gathered so far the employees I have spoken to only understand what day you are picking up and what day you are returning, understandable though.

Instead of talking to the rental agency, see if you can get a copy of their rental agreement. Although most say you can't tow their vehicles behind another vehicle, the actual contract usually does not actually prohibit putting the whole car up on a trailer.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ItsyRV wrote:
I have found that most rental car companies I have dealt with, do not allow you to tow one of their rentals behind your RV on a dolly or car carrier. There was one that if you had the correct "membership status", they had an option for those renting at a popular tourist destination.

My destinations usually involve somewhat of a remote area near a stream or lake . I am going to research more and speak to the agencies. From what I have gathered so far the employees I have spoken to only understand what day you are picking up and what day you are returning, understandable though.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that most rental car companies I have dealt with, do not allow you to tow one of their rentals behind your RV on a dolly or car carrier. There was one that if you had the correct "membership status", they had an option for those renting at a popular tourist destination.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
I have access to a tow dolly and if I were to rent a small car and tow it backwards it would be fine.

Even if a rental company would allow you to dolly tow their cars why would you tow it backwards?
I think most small cars are front wheel drive. And, dolly manufacturers probably do not recommend towing a car backwards for safety reasons.

ok, you didn't read my comment where I realized my mistake. I changed it. Anyway, Im old school where the only front wheel drive car was a Eldorado. We laughed when he came in and had snow tires put on just the front. I forgot everything else is front wheel drive EXCEPT anything I drive.
As far as safety is concerned, as a young lad and operating a wrecker service we towed hundreds of cars backwards and only using the seat belt to hold the wheel.
way off topic now.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
I have access to a tow dolly and if I were to rent a small car and tow it backwards it would be fine.

Even if a rental company would allow you to dolly tow their cars why would you tow it backwards?
I think most small cars are front wheel drive. And, dolly manufacturers probably do not recommend towing a car backwards for safety reasons.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
I would wonder if the rental car company would allow you to dolly tow. FWIW, virtually every small car these days is front wheel drive, so you would load it on the dolly forwards instead of backwards.

Yes, you are correct, what was I thinking. I did just call one company and they were like duh......

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I would wonder if the rental car company would allow you to dolly tow. FWIW, virtually every small car these days is front wheel drive, so you would load it on the dolly forwards instead of backwards.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3