cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The RV Life

Tmeek
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago - if 15 or so is many - we left the RV life and our interactions here with all of you. My wife and kid decided it was just much nicer to stay in hotels and yanked my favorite hobby right out from under me. Things have changed since then. The adorable daughter is about to graduate from college and move on to grad school, and my wife sadly passed away last year after battling cancer.

So just today I started my comeback into the kind of traveling I came to love over those several years, and back here to the forums that taught me so much about the RV community and the thousands of associated "how to's" of RVing. Invaluable knowledge and so many kind hearted souls who share their experiences to help others.

Looking forward to travels, I hope to meet many of you in the coming years at parks and campgrounds to share some time and relate experiences. So if you run across a guy and his dog in a Rockwood A122 and a white Nissan Frontier, stop in and share a minute - you'll be welcomed!
2019 Nissan Frontier 2WD 4.0L V6, 2019 Rockwood A-122 A-Frame folder. 1 man, 1 dog, 1 truck, 1 trailer and God leading the way
16 REPLIES 16

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Tmeek wrote:
Thank you all so much for the kind sentiments. Given the options of crawling under a rock or getting on with life, well, you can see the choice I made.

Lakeside, I can already tell you two things about camping before and after. A whole lot less stress. First, the Rockwood tows very easily. I know it's there if the road is uneven, but otherwise, it's a dream compared to the old 30'. Second, I am a fixer/pleaser, so I was always seeing to the comfort and happiness of others. Now it's just me (the dog doesn't fuss much... lol).

Tmeek....give some thought to putting out a small sign at your campsite that reads something like this:
'Got something broken, I fix things AND I aim to please'.

You never know who might really need your talents, and you might even get pleasure in your heart in return to help with the sadness that abounds there.

Plus the pup may enjoy the change of pace in your step that comes from helping others.

Just a thought. We care.

lakeside

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome, sorry to hear abut your wife. Go have fun on your new adventure. You may find a few things have changed but, most are the same. The people on here will be happy to help if needed.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Wish you a bunch of good times down the road.

My wife passed from cancer also many years ago. You have my condolences.

Solo with a dog is fun.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your ready for the next chapter of your life. I wish you the best. I travel solo with a couple of Collies and their always ready for an adventure.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome back... and glad you made the choice to get back into RVing.

I just finished a 13 month trip, solo with my cocker spaniel, from FL out to NW area and back to FL. Had the best year and loved every minute of the whole trip.

A lot different going by yourself with your furkid, but I never got lonely. Too much to see and do. Heading out May 1 again for about 7 months this time.

Good Luck, safe travels.

Tmeek
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for the kind sentiments. Given the options of crawling under a rock or getting on with life, well, you can see the choice I made.

Lakeside, I can already tell you two things about camping before and after. A whole lot less stress. First, the Rockwood tows very easily. I know it's there if the road is uneven, but otherwise, it's a dream compared to the old 30'. Second, I am a fixer/pleaser, so I was always seeing to the comfort and happiness of others. Now it's just me (the dog doesn't fuss much... lol).
2019 Nissan Frontier 2WD 4.0L V6, 2019 Rockwood A-122 A-Frame folder. 1 man, 1 dog, 1 truck, 1 trailer and God leading the way

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck in this new chapter of your life.
In my case and age, I'd be tempted to go full time, bouncing around some to my kids' and other family places.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome back.
Enjoy your travels.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
This country has some REEEEALLY amazing places, views, food. It's good to hear
you're back in - make the most of your opportunities, get out there and enjoy
yourself;

RVing alone in not too bad either, I go to places that do not interest my wife
so spend time alone. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought.
Gerry

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Condolences to you and welcome back.

It would be interesting, if after you get back into traveling, you could share with us what differences you find between RVing / camping NOW compared to BEFORE.

Wishing you safe travels and may your life be full of new adventures. Please give the 'pup' a pat from me.

Lakeside

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm so very sorry to hear of yor wifes passing but welcome back to the hobby. I hope you'll also feel free to walk up and talk to any of us. Our favorite thing is just meeting new people.

Scott

Tmeek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much kellem and lap! Happy travels!

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are on the right track. Of all the things I have done in my life I think camping tops the list. Welcome back and Enjoy!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your wife.

Doesn't sound like your ready to crawl in a hole but rather enjoy life and get out.
Hope you find peace and serenity to the fullest, the RV way.